Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-03-09-JWP] Hiroumi Yagi vs Tomoko Kuzumi

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently, one of the reasons they did the go-go-go style here is that Kuzumi was set to dominate the juniors division in Yagi's absence (this is her retirement match), so they wanted to work the match in her style since that's what future matches would be. But yes, this was really good. I'd probably call it a step above the other match, but I do think the athleticism was better here, and Kuzumi didn't seem completely out of Yagi's league this time around. Not much heat, which is too bad. Had this happened as a touring Joshi match on a random Nitro, people would rave about it to this day.

Kuzumi was set to dominate the juniors division in Yagi's absence

Kuzumi had allready been Jr champ for 7 months by this point, she lost the belt a few months later to Tomoko Miyaguchi (Ran YuYu) then only challenged for it 1 more time after that.

This was a jr title match as was their last one earlier on the set however (they'd had 2 earlier ones as well in 96).

But Jr is just the term they use in joshi for their young wrestlers without much experience (Yagi only debued in 94) and doesn't indicate any particular style or weight class...

• 2 weeks later...

Crowd was dreadful. This was another good match in a fun series. Yagi I thought was really wonderful in the early going and showed off her athleticism. A good swan song for her for the time being. I also liked the superplex being the finish as this didn't get too kick out crazy.

• 1 month later...

Yagi's retirement match. Don't worry, this is wrestling. They packed a lot into the time frame. Indeed it was too frenetic and spotty in the middle stages. It was more aerially oriented than the January encounter which put over the Champion more than the challenger this time. Execution was generally strong and it got better with near falls at the end. Not as impressive as last time out but good overall.

• 1 year later...

More early-'90s-style JWP goodness here. Fast-paced, but based mostly around takedowns and roll-ups and a few more basic suplexes rather than a true go-go spotfest. I think I liked the first match better too, if only because it so exceeded my expectations. I also got a better sense of the strengths and weaknesses of each woman in that one. Here, they were more evenly matched but I was literally losing track of who was whom at points.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-03-09-JWP] Hiroumi Yagi vs Tomoko Kuzumi