Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-06-03-BJW] Gedo & Jado vs Yoshihiro Taijiri & Yuichi Tanaguchi vs Kengo Kimura & Takashi Ishikawa vs Shoji Nakamaki & Takashi Okano vs Kendo Nagasaki & Satoru Shiga

Loss

• 1 month later...

5-way Texas Tornado elimination tag I guess is the best way to describe this. Chaotic brawling spectacle with a weird collection of wrestlers. Taijiri is the superstar of this match, putting on a great one-man show against Gedo and Jado and later having a spirited brawl with Kimura. But there are lots of highlights -- so many in fact that this is hard to keep up with and a little overwhelming at times. Not sure who the manager in the suit is, but he's obviously a trained wrestler and looks familiar. Did Kimura and Ishikawa really do an old man version of the Total Elimination? In the end, this feels like a bunch of super heated matches all overlapping each other. Call it Pro Wrestling Bumper Cars.

• 2 weeks later...

I had no idea what the fuck was going on a lot of the time, but this was an entertaining bit of mayhem. Tajiri delivered a spirited performance as the one really athletic guy in the match. And I enjoyed seeing '80s relics Kimura and Ishikawa as the tough veterans. The Tajiri-Kimura fight on the outside was probably my favorite sequence, in part because they're guys I know really well from other settings. Glad this made the set.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't even know it was 5 individual teams until they they started going through the eliminations. The beginning was so out of control with the quick camera cuts to the all the action going on in and outside the ring. So it was hard to follow but there was a great few minutes of Tajiri fighting off Jado and Gedo. Fun match overall.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

A weird mix of Big Japan, WAR, and New Japan, on what's apparently a Big Japan show. It's pretty much useless to follow what's going on, so you just end up concentrating on the mini-matches throughout, like Tajiri fighting to survive against Gado & Jedo and randomly deciding to throw in graceful wrestling sequences while everyone else is trying to murder each other. Kodo Fuyuki is hanging out at ringside and eventually runs in and kicks the shit out of Nagasaki--wrestlers kicking ass in suits is a sight that never gets old. Once Tajiri, who's spectacular here, gets eliminated my enthusiasm sort of dies--outside of him, this is mostly old and/or fat guys stiffing each other. It's still never boring and the weird WTF-ness of it all keeps it a compelling watch. Kimura and Ishikawa are the oldest and therefore best team in this, so they come away with the win and some tag titles of some sort. I don't think this is really going to end up anywhere on my Observer Awards but I'm glad I saw it. More Tajiri, please.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-06-03-BJW] Gedo & Jado vs Yoshihiro Taijiri & Yuichi Tanaguchi vs Kengo Kimura & Takashi Ishikawa vs Shoji Nakamaki & Takashi Okano vs Kendo Nagasaki & Satoru Shiga