Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-06-20-ECW-Waltham, MA] PG-13 vs Mikey Whipwreck & Spike Dudley

Loss

• 1 month later...

This is a blast. The best ECW matches in 1997 tend to be the ones with the Southern guys working the crowd by using the oldest tricks in the book. So many fun heel miscommunication spots, which were really becoming a dying art by this point in time. Spike and Mikey weren't as good, but they were still good. Mikey did a good job working the apron and I liked the FIP stuff. JC's "Oh shit" when doing the high back body drop was great. He never left the gimmick even for a second. Great finishing sequence too!

• 4 weeks later...

PG-13 work the crowd beforehand very well and draw a lot of heat. Wolfie has a nice looking gut wrench suplex with elbow drop combo. ECW had FBI and PG-13 right now but not good enough face teams to work with. This is fun though as PG-13 bring a lot of entertaining southern spots. I barely noticed Whipwreck in match. There was an SMW chant that lasted about 5 seconds.

• 2 months later...

Spike and Mikey coming out to highway to hell is so indy rific. This match was super. Dundee is wearing horny devil boxers and Wolfie mugging for the crowd is amazing. Spike makes a good FIP and the heat was really good thanks to the antics of PG-13. MIkey's hot tag was ok but I thought he was the worst person in the match. They are able to pick up the underdog win though. Fun stuff.

• 1 year later...

PG-13 work the crowd spectacularly, playing up the Southern vs. Yankee element. This is the perfect ECW house show opener as booked by 1977 JCP-era George Scott: there's no out of the ring brawling, no weapons, no blood, nothing that would set the bar too high for what's to come but well-worked in its own way. I actually wasn't all that impressed by Spike here--he's into his spastic, "special" character before the match and doesn't do anything badly per se, but doesn't do much to grab your attention either--he basically just serves as a punching bag. Mikey is better but was also working on one knee for most of '97 and has had better performances elsewhere. This is a PG-13 show all the way, masters of heel miscommunication but also providing a lot of really cool offense, now that they're in with two guys they can actually throw around. Wolfie's huracanrana into the turnbuckle was a highlight, as was his awesome apron clothesline to cut off a potential Spike comeback. Please tell me that there's a PG-13/FBI match out there.

• 1 year later...

I loved PG-13 working the crowd pre-match. They hug at about the mid-point, and it draws a ton of heat. I think the crowd was chatting "get a room." I thought the offense from PG-13 looked really good. The huracanrana from Wolfie (on Spike to the middle turnbuckle), as mentioned above, was the highlight to me too. It looked awesome. He followed it up nicely with a bulldog from the top rope. I also really liked the side-belly suplex into an elbow drop from Woflie, also onto Spike. I love the "oh shit!" from Dundee when he is mid-toss (in the air) after the hot tag to Mikey. Spike a Mikey get the win after a top rope dropkick from Spike. This was a fun little match.

#480 - placetobenation.com/countdown-top-500-matches-of-the-90s-500-451/

• 2 weeks later...

Loss' #480 was a well worked house show bout. I've enjoyed what little PG-13 I've seen in the past and this was another solid performance from them. It had all the ingredients of an enjoyable house show bout and just enough action to avoid being a match that was all about heat. I liked Dudley in this match too. His stuff on offense looked good and his bumping and selling helped carry the action. The hot tag wasn't that great and neither was the finish but Pete mentioned something about Whipwreck had a knee injury and he did look fairly immobile at times. Were PG-13 the best tag team in wrestling at this point?

• GSR changed the title to [1997-06-20-ECW-Waltham, MA] PG-13 vs Mikey Whipwreck & Spike Dudley