Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-09-22-WCW-Nitro] Interview: Roddy Piper

Loss

• 1 month later...

Piper sets up Hall vs Luger at Havoc with Larry Zbyszko as the special referee. He does a fine job hyping the cage match with Hogan at Halloween Havoc. He says he's had more cage matches than Brigham Young had wives, which is a funny line for Salt Lake City. This is the closest thing to a focused promo he has done all year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Very good Piper promo, probably my favorite of the year. He sets up a few things for Havoc and has some good one liners to go with them. It is really not like people are outright rejecting the Hogan/Piper cage match going in at this point even though it feels played to me.

• 5 months later...

Agreed, it's a schokingly good promo from Piper, although he does say NWA instead of nWo. Kayfabe-wise, Piper has done a much better job that JJ Dillon in term of decision making. Luger vs Hall with Larry Z. as the ref is the logical continuation of the ongoing storyline, but shows that Luger has gone from being the Man for WCW during the summer to be a transition character for an upper midcard feud. He would still feud with Savage on top in the beginning of 98, which shows of screwed up the booking had become. Piper does also a good job hyping a cage match I have no desire to watch.

• 1 year later...

After a show's worth of hype the big announcement is Luger will wrestle Hall with Larry Z as the official ref. Meh. But I'm fine with the Hall-Zbyszko angle. Piper *does* cut a pretty good promo, and he even looks better than he has in previous months. The Brigham Young line was good and Piper does an effective job of getting over the brutality of cage matches. I still don't want to see this main event but in context, it's working.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-09-22-WCW-Nitro] Interview: Roddy Piper