Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-12-08-WCW-Nitro] Interview: Ric Flair

Loss

• 2 months later...

It feels weird to talk about a Starrcade where he's in the company and doesn't even have a match on the show. Here, he's the hype man for everyone else's matches. He challenges Curt Hennig to a cage match, but obviously that didn't happen and I didn't remember them hyping that. Wow, they could have made that a feel good show.

Flair is asked to respond to Bret Hart joining the NWO and that program could have been special too. Ok, try not to think ahead, self.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Flair had that great moment coming back and gaining revenge and then has just sputtered the past two months with a feud with Hennig solidly in the midcard. Hogan hasnt mentioned him in months. We get a tease of Flair vs. Bret here and I'm still not sure that was the right arena from Bret to enter WCW in. I will say that WCW is still strong and certainly better than WWF the past month, but the booking heading into this all important show has had some slight mis-steps that will only be amplified after that show takes place.

• 2 months later...

This is so random. That Flair mentionned Hall & Nash vs Steiners shows how out of the loop he was. Booking himself in a cage match with Hennig when he basically already had transitionned into a feud with DDP. Jeez. The Bret Hart part of the promo was the good part, but damn they are already fucking up Bret's momentum coming off the biggest newsworthy event in modern wrestling history by mentionning him as part of the nWo without even showing his face. Starrcade has been extremely poorly built up thus far, top to bottom.

• 1 year later...

Flair even sort of second-guesses himself on that Steiners-Outsiders match. Maybe he was at least paying attention to that Giant interview. Already we're starting hype for Flair vs. Bret. I can understand the logic behind that match-up as Bret's first in WCW, but I dunno...I think you need to go all-in and run Bret vs. Sting as soon as you can and go for the jugular against the WWF. There's time to build and then there's time to strike--by waiting and not really building up Bret as the uncrowned champion, all those legit dream matches never really happened.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-12-08-WCW-Nitro] Interview: Ric Flair