Pro Wrestling Only

The Bix Bleacher Report articles thread

Bix

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Staples

I know it's TNA and they fucked up a lot of things, but Matt Morgan never impressed me there. He was given a fair amount of chances, but never really capitalized on them. A lot of it is due to TNA being so start and stop, but I can't recall one single memorable Matt Morgan promo or match aside from a brawl he had with Crimson that featured some of the weakest looking strikes I'd ever seen.

Guest Staples

I'm surprised you didn't mention the Basham's gimmicks when they split and were put on the C-shows. Danny started using the Damaja name again and Doug became the "Bash Man". Only thing I could find was their titantrons and Doug's gimmick didn't look like it had much legs. Danny's seemed like it could have got him over if they gave it a chance instead of burying it on Heat the one(?) time he used it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuWLnR4QHyY

It's less that Matt Morgan was any good and more that he was someone with potential who was called up in the stupidest way possible.

I will never say anything bad about those weird last runs for the OVW guys. Basham vs Jindrak and THE CON MAN FTW.

I know I haven't been updating the thread, just follow me on Twitter or something.

Why don't you post a few links to what you consider your best articles? I read the Texas one, WXO and Black World Champs but browsing cageside seats is a pain in the ass.

I am looking for good content that I can read on my phone via Pocket during long bus or train rides...

On a similar note, is there anywhere on PWO a megathread on great wrestling articles? It would be a great reference to have one place with stuff like the interview with Nancy Benoit's sister, Snowden's top stuff like the Ric Flair deal, things like the recent DDP article on Jake/Hall, or the Final Days of Randy Savage.

I'm not trolling by invoking it, but I'm both mortified by and giddy about the possibie comments that will result from me using the term "rape culture" in the intro of a slideshow that talks about both Kane/Lita and Dawn Marie/Torrie Wilson: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1732277...nes-of-all-time

Why don't you post a few links to what you consider your best articles? I read the Texas one, WXO and Black World Champs but browsing cageside seats is a pain in the ass.

I am looking for good content that I can read on my phone via Pocket during long bus or train rides...

On a similar note, is there anywhere on PWO a megathread on great wrestling articles? It would be a great reference to have one place with stuff like the interview with Nancy Benoit's sister, Snowden's top stuff like the Ric Flair deal, things like the recent DDP article on Jake/Hall, or the Final Days of Randy Savage.

Hmm...off the top of my head and checking BR (I'll look more at Cageside tomorrow)

This might be my personal favorite; The story of the fake Stan Lane and others who have duped newspapers and family members: http://www.cagesideseats.com/2011/3/17/205...ther-pretenders

Nothing new to you but I think my Sin Cara vs Sin Cara/Mistico vs Mistico backstory article is one of my best pieces in that I told a good story with the information but did it fairly concisely: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/873964-...ara-vs-sin-cara

The Cena slideshow I did this week I think turned into something really cool as far as talking about the evolution of fan reactions to him: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1725398...enas-wwe-career

I love this one, the most interesting excerpts from wrestling related lawsuits and such that I could find online: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/883214-...ilings-case-law

Fake/replacement masked wrestlers: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/794366-...-is-nothing-new

Chris Masters profile from after his second firing: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/793868-...spat-out-by-wwe

And yes, a great wrestling articles reference thread must happen.

I think UPN refused to air Torrie and Dawn making out which angered Vince. It was one of the main selling points for the Armageddon PPV.

IIRC, the hotel shoot was a mess. The only people in the room were Torrie, Dawn, Stephanie McMahon (produced the segment) and the cameraman. Apparently Torrie couldn't get it right and kept acting like she was "into it" but she was supposed to be ambiguous and the audience would decide for themselves if she liked it or not. Both of them got drunk on champagne and finally got the right takes. This was in Dawn Marie's shoot I believe

• 2 weeks later...

Thought your "right decision" article was good. With the current heel line up I can't imagine exactly what a Bryan title run would have looked like (though I keep picturing Rey's World title run that was disastrous with him losing more than winning). I would have liked to see a bit more about whether this was good or bad for Bryan longterm though.

• 3 weeks later...

Bix sparring with the crowd over the announcers was great entertainment.

Was there a reason you didn't rate Heyman? I didn't see an explanation there and he is one of my favorite color guys. Was it lack of longevity? That's the problem with Bock too.

I've been thoroughly enjoying Bonnema. Any thoughts there? I really love Bill Watts as an announcer too.

I thought the announcers article was a pretty good read and it was fun to see so many irate comments, especially the ones about Joey Styles.

Without really thinking about it too much and with the qualifier that I've yet to watch through the Memphis set so can't rate Russell yet, my top 10 would be -- and none of this is intended ironically:

1. Jesse Ventura - just think the guy was absolutely perfect in his role and pound-for-pound is the best commentator. Very funny too.

2. Jim Ross - has his flaws, but there is no one better at calling a big match.

3. Vince McMahon - first glance this looks absurdly high but I think he was absolutely great, whether it's 70s Vince on his own, or hyped-up total loon 80s Vince on SNME, always got across exactly what was needed, perfect counter-point to Jesse. So he didn't know the names of many moves. Doesn't matter.

4. David Crockett - Basically the JCP version of Vince only about twice as mental with about half as much knowledge of wrestling holds. My love for him knows few bounds.

5. Bill Watts - terrific announcer, hits all the vital story points, great breakdown of moves and holds, calls key action -- most of the time Boyd Pierce need not be there.

6. Bobby Heenan - always funny, my feeling is that he didn't always pay enough attention to matches or angles because he was busy getting over his jokes. Great during bad matches, but there are times when he can be a detriment, especially in WCW late on.

7. Tony Schiavone - very underrated in my view. Feel he was one of the best at getting over historical importance -- not his "it's the biggest night in the history of our sport" stuff, but when he'd hit details. I'd point to Starrcade 93 as a show on which he really adds to things. Gave up in the late 90s.

8. Gorilla Monsoon - controversial pick, but I think he was very likable and would help the viewer through some atrocious stuff. You can rag on him for his flaws: yes, he criticized workers sometimes, yes, he relied on stock phrases too much, but I think it's very smark-y to argue that he didn't add something to that product. If he was really bad -- like a Ron Tronguard -- everyone would say he was bad. But only hardcores maintain that he was bad, everyone else loves him -- my take is that that means the hardcores aren't getting something and I stand by that.

9. Gordon Solie - Seems like sacrilege, but his emotional detachment from the action often leaves me cold. I do like the FEEL of those matches from the 70s where he's in the booth alone talking us through some footage, but I'd be being dishonest to rank him higher. Think he was actively bad during Starrcade 83.

10. Sean Mooney - He is so entertainingly bad that I can't in good faith leave him off this list.

So you'll notice there's no Bob Caudle but that shouldn't come as too great a shock. I have yet to see what he brings to the table beyond stock phrases. I don't really understand why he is exempt from Bix's line here: "I get that many people will always love the announcers they grew up with, but some of them weren't very good." What did Caudle do that was good? How is he demonstrably better than Monsoon? I don't get that.

Was there a reason you didn't rate Heyman? I didn't see an explanation there and he is one of my favorite color guys. Was it lack of longevity? That's the problem with Bock too..

Funny, I love Heyman as a manager and general TV personality, but watching stuff from 2001 I am struck by how little I enjoyed JR and Heyman together, and how generally annoying I found him. He is antagonistic to the point of distraction, not in a good way, for me.

• 1 month later...

I know I haven't been bothering to link anything here lately but I'm curious what people think of the epiphany I had at the end of the article:

WWE's Lack of Faith in Daniel Bryan Is a Self-Fulfilling Prophecy.

Most of it is what you expect. Then I realized something I decided to end the article on, albeit less colorfully and detailed that I'm going to say it here:

"Daniel Bryan is too ugly to be a star. He's too short to be a real man...probably has a small penis. Watch his wacky adventures in love with his fiance, a woman we sell to you as the epitome of female beauty and hotness who you should want to fuck!"

Did anyone think about this for five seconds? Or is it proof they think Brie is the "ugly" Bella twin? 'Eew, she's dating Daniel Bryan. And she's a "granola girl.' I bet she wouldn't shave her armpits if she wasn't on TV in her underwear each week. Haha, Bryan is so ugly he can't get a girl with big fake tits like Cena can."

Actually, yeah, I won't make my own list but i was surprised to see Caudle so high. There are guys who I am excited when I find out they're commentating something (Cornette is one) but Caudle is someone I'm always disappointed about.

Caudle's cadence epitomizes a 1980s college football play-by-pay man. Every time I listen to him I feel like I'm tuning into a New Year's Day bowl game. His whole flow plays into my suspension of disbelief and makes it seem like it's more sport than show.