Pro Wrestling Only

Were the Death of the Territories in the 80s Inevitable?

JerryvonKramer

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the only way WWF doesn't take over is if Georgia Championship Wrestling makes a hard push first in 82 or 83. They had a ton of talent, they had at the time the only national wrestling TV audience, and they had already ventured out of their home territory of Georgia to start running in Ohio and West Virginia. But the territories were inevitably going to die, cable TV would have seen to it.

Well a lot of guys just passed through to get national TV time on the show or to work an Omni card so I would work with the concept of trying to poach some of those outside guys. I'd try to build around Dusty Rhodes, Piper, JYD ,Sgt Slaughter,Freebirds, Paul Orndorff, Buzz Sawyer, Ole Anderson, Butch Reed, Ivan Koloff and keep regional draws like Mr Wrestling II and Tommy Rich around your core areas while you try to expand. I don't really see them as being a truly NATIONAL promotion as in going EVERYWHERE but they would have national TV exposure and they could have taken a lot of territory in the south.