Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling Culture Episode 47

On Episode 47 of The Wrestling Culture podcast, Dylan and myself come down from our recent wrestling binge-watching to talk about it...before probably going right back to it. We talk about New Japan's G1 Tournament, WWE's Summerslam, Dave's live wrestling experiences this summer, Dylan watching every match to make video in 2013 and just general wrestling geekiness.. Please listen and enjoy.

Wrestling Culture Episode 47

Hey, I got no problem getting bumped by these guys. In terms of timeliness (assuming you've listened to Will's Lucha show), you should listen to this first, then the review we did of the recent Crockett documentary (#47), then before the 15th September deadline the AWA show we did (with Dylan and others, #48). Then if you have a spare 100 hours in a rainy week, you could delve into our NWA archives.

I usually skip on "current wrestling" shows, but I have an interest in Summerslam and caught the tail-end of last week's RAW with Bryan getting decked by The Shield. So will probably give this a whirl.

Dylan, I saw two new wrestling shows crop up on the UK digital channel "Challenge" this past week. I've recorded them. One is a roundtable affair discussing current goings on in the British scene, but the other is this: http://www.challenge.co.uk/wrestling/new-f...-for-debut.html Don't know if that is on your radar, I've not watched it yet.

2.5 hours. Good lord. I've got a 20 mile run coming up this weekend and was planning on listening to Mooney's best of the 80s NWA podcast, but it may get bumped for this. You know, timely material and all. Sorry, Sean.

Best of the 80's NWA Podcast? What is that??? Or was that a typo for AWA?

2.5 hours. Good lord. I've got a 20 mile run coming up this weekend and was planning on listening to Mooney's best of the 80s NWA podcast, but it may get bumped for this. You know, timely material and all. Sorry, Sean.

Best of the 80's NWA Podcast? What is that??? Or was that a typo for AWA?

Assuming this episode?

http://placetobenation.com/where-the-big-b...-decade-awards/

Alright. So I saw both singles Lucero vs Hechicero matches, and now that I've heard Dylan really talk about it, i think everything he mentioned about the first fall of the title match was so much more pronounced in the first match. Lucero's holds were so much more simplistic in gritty in the earlier match than in the title match. He'd would just cruelly wrench a leg or something and then Hechicero would do something very elaborate. Lucero's holds in the title match were far more complex and I think it made for a much less well-defined and complete story (especially if the story is as Dylan was presenting it). Then, in the first match, it all builds to the brilliant moment in the second fall where Lucero just gets pissed and hits that amazing punch out of nowhere, which was such a great payoff. I get that the matwork and escapes were more complicated in the title match and in a vacuum might have been more compelling but I can't see at all how the first two falls told a better, more interesting story relative to the earlier match. I thought there was something else I was missing (and Dylan's mentioned body language throughout the fall and what not) but from what you said in the podcast, everything you talk about with the gritty holds Lucero was using and his frustration with the more elaborate stuff Hechicero was doing was so much more pronounced and interesting in the first match than the title match. Now if you wanted to put forward the idea that Lucero was trying to do more elaborate stuff to keep up with Hechicero in the title match, I might have been able to see but from the story you presented in the podcast, that's shown much more in the match the week before.

Of course, the third fall in the title match is absolutely it's own beast.

Edit: I explained that really poorly. Mainly, I thought that a lot of the things Dylan mentioned in the first fall were more pronounced in the match that came a week before the title match. Maybe it was the nuance that made the Title match more special and those things were still there and my neophyte lucha watching made me grasp on to something simple instead of something more complex, mind you.

Edit 2: Finished up. Great show. There's so much to like right now, even if I'm only tuned into a relatively small amount of it. One great thing in our hobby is that if you miss stuff it's not hard to catch up weeks or even years later.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the Lucero vs. Hechicero title match turned on the missed tope and became a great match after that point. The early matwork was no better or worse than the week before, but I can see someone liking Lucero's performance more in the first match. It was the same basic opening to both matches, though. Lucero maybe wrestled a little cleaner because it was a title fight but I seem to remember him getting frustrated in the title match as well. He just didn't throw the punch. The punch was a great spot in the mano a mano but you can't really do that in title match conventions.

I need to ask you Dylan did you think Swagger/Zayn was better than Cesaro/Zayn?

No, note even close. I did think it was a strong tv match and a hell of a performance by Zayn. There are things about his mannerisms and reactions that I still find a bit hammy, but here is the thing - it works. He's over as fuck and I would say that if you are someone who is heavily effected by crowd reaction I could see thinking the Swagger match was better. Still I thought the psychology of the 2/3 Falls match with Cesaro took it to a whole different level than the Swagger match.