Pro Wrestling Only

Titans of Wrestling #8

http://placetobenation.com/titans-of-wrest...-december-1979/

artworks-000060597399-aj1r9i-t500x500.jp

Parv, James, Kelly, Pete and Johnny Sorrow finish up WWF in 1979.

On the docket tonight:

12-01 ALBANO MAKES DEAL WITH WIZARD FOR PAT PATTERSON CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING

12-01 TONY ATLAS vs JOSE ESTRADA CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING

12-06 BOB BACKLUND vs ANTONIO INOKI WWF TITLE JAPAN

12-08 KEN PATERA vs JOHNNY RIVERA ALL STAR WRESTLING

12-08 PATTERSON/SAMOANS vs ZBYSZKO/DENUCCI/PUTSKI CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING

12-17 HULK HOGAN vs TED DIBIASE MADISON SQUARE GARDEN

12-79 BOB BACKLUND, LOU ALBANO/BOBBY DUNCUM PROMOS WWF TV

12-17 BOB BACKLUND vs BOBBY DUNCUM WWF TITLE MADISON SQUARE GARDEN

12-17 HARLEY RACE vs DUSTY RHODES NWA TITLE MADISON SQUARE GARDEN

12-31 ANDRE THE GIANT, LOU ALBANO PROMOS WWF TV

Some highlights include:

- The mailbag returns, possibly for the last time

- Bios for Tony Atlas (Johnny), Antonio Inoki, Ken Patera (both Kelly), and Harley Race (Parv)

- Does the piledriver hurt the top of your head or just the neck?

- End of year awards for 1979

- Plus Al Pacino, how many members of the Village People were gay?, cheap generic colas, Sylvester the Cat, and loads more fun and nonsense

The PWO-PTBN Podcast Network features great shows you can find right here at Place to Be Nation. By subscribing on iTunes or SoundCloud, you’ll have access to new episodes, bonus content, as well as a complete archive of: Where the Big Boys Play, Titans of Wrestling, Pro-Wrestling Super-Show, Good Will Wrestling, and Wrestling With the Past.

I fast forwarded the first 8 minutes plus of show. Apparently there was a segment that I will not name to start the show that had listeners tuning out and switching over to an Al Pacino podcast. So it seemed like I wasn't missing anything worth while. Satisfied guys? ;) Grand Wizard going through some hard financial times. I know it was more of a topic in earlier shows but from what was shown from 79, I think the clear order of ranking is Lou/Blassie/Wizard. Lou is just throwing money around as he drops $100K for Patterson. His immediate poor handling of Patterson was funny. Johnny trying to bring up Dr. Zaharion after it was just mentioned minutes early was hilarious.

Great bio by Johnny for Tony Atlas. Great stuff in there. There should be an audio compilation of all these bios. These Inoki/Backlunds matches haven't been good. Post match crazy Bob testing things out for his 94 turn. I still feel like I need to watch more Inoki from 70's before I write him off. I actually liked Backlund/Duncum. Totally ignored the "Texas Death match" stipulation when it was clear they were doing a different type of match and it made it better. Race/Rhodes and Hulk/DiBiase were decent to good. That was a loaded MSG card. Good picks for the awards and nice to see Denucci bring home a prize. The exit audio clip to close show had me almost in tears. Nice editing there.

• 4 weeks later...

This show was a blast to do, and blast to listen to. Funny as fuck and you don't need to have seen the matches and promos to enjoy it. I think we make people want to find these matches and promos.

^ This. Possibly my favorite Titans so far - definitely the funniest. Parv trying to get through his serious material with Johnny laughing uncontrollably was great.

Lucky there isn't a Wellness Policy in place for the Titans of Wrestling with Parv's elevated ice cream levels/gourmet soda addiction and Johnny being in no condition to remember what James had said 3 minutes beforehand.

I feel like there was Zahorian material left on the table here. But plenty of time for that (and I wish you guys let Johnny get this stuff in on this!).