Pro Wrestling Only

Where the Big Boys Play #53

I love that he made a cameo when they handcuffed Ole.

I operate under the ole business adage "Inspect what you expect". El Gigante is a multi-faceted performer who I could trust to keep the Horsemen at bay. Did you see how scared they were of him in their match? Did you know El Gigante was a former American Basketball player? He connected on two of his three shoves at the end of his match. That is 66%! Any basketball player would love for that kind of execution.

El Gigante is such a jerk, he only gives Ole half a seat to sit on.

Fuck you

Not too mention that Harley was the exact type of wrestler the NWA shouldn't have been pushing once the 80's rolled around. I also didn't like any of the 70's footage I saw from him. His Starrcade match has to be one of the worse main event big show matches of the 80's. Thank God for Piper-Valentine and the tag match or that woulda been a dissapointing show.

Really enjoyed this episode, I'd love to read those Torch interviews with Eddie Gilbert at some point that were mentioned.

I liked the MARATHON Gordon Solie catchup too.

Thumbs up guys! Keep up the good work!

One point, Parv, you really need to work on your pronunciation of El Gigante and Ole :lol:

I liked the Race/Rich match here a lot. Solid *** old man 6-minute wrestling match (I'm sure such a category exists). I don't agree there wasn't a story here - sure it was a one shot deal but Race laid out the beef in his promo. I thought that was a cool-as-shit 9 year callback there to Rich and '81. I don't need anything more than that.

Question for the group - is this Race's last good match?

Really enjoyed this one.

I found Derek's insights to be an interesting shift from the typical analysis this podcast gives.

I've not seen this PPV in ages, but I do overall agree with Parv that Garvin was shit by this point. Hayes was living on borrowed time as well. He really went from "Coolest dude at the party" to "Someone's awkward dad" in a hurry.

As for the Dudes...I really don't know what to say. I mean, I'm a Steiners fan through and through (I live about 30 minutes from their hometown of Bay City, Michigan), but JYD, Orndorff, and El F'N Gigante never did nothing for nobody!

The Sting-Flair match was, as many have said already in this thread, a Sting squash. I don't know if they were trying too hard to get Sting over (and thus cement the 'new era' vibe that the match & post-match promo seemed to suggest) by having him dominate Flair, or what. Cool moment, lackluster route to get there.

Keep up the great work, fellas!