Pro Wrestling Only

Titans of Wrestling #12

Would very much like to hear listeners' thoughts on Backlund vs. Inoki for this one because Pete and I had quite the disagreement over it.

http://placetobenation.com/titans-of-wrest...rch-april-1980/

titans12.png

Parv, Johnny, Pete and Kelly plow on through 1980. This episode is dedicated to James.

On the docket:

03-24 ANDRE THE GIANT/PAT PATTERSON vs BOBBY DUNCUM/KEN PATERA MADISON SQUARE GARDEN

03-24 HULK HOGAN vs TITO SANTANA MADISON SQUARE GARDEN

04-12 BOB BACKLUND vs HULK HOGAN WWF TITLE PHILADELPHIA SPECTRUM

04-12 BRUNO SAMMARTINO vs LARRY ZBYSKO PHILADELPHIA SPECTRUM

04-12 TITO SANTANA/IVAN PUTSKI vs WILD SAMOANS TAG TITLE CHV CLIP PHILADELPHIA SPECTRUM

04-16 BOB BACKLUND vs ANTONIO INOKI WWF TITLE BAD MIAMI BEACH FL

04-80 SAMMARTINO, PATERA/WIZARD, BACKLUND, PATTERSON PROMOS WWF TV

Plus:

- Johnny pays tribute to the dearly departed James

- Spotlight on Larry Zbysko

-An epic bio for Classy Fred Blassie

- A surreal, mind-bending review of Hogan vs. Backlund

- And Parv, Pete and Kelly argue about the latest installment of Backlund vs. Inoki as yet again Johnny skips his homework

The PWO-PTBN Podcast Network features great shows you can find right here at Place to Be Nation. By subscribing on iTunes or SoundCloud, you’ll have access to new episodes, bonus content, as well as a complete archive of: Where the Big Boys Play, Titans of Wrestling, Pro-Wrestling Super-Show, Good Will Wrestling, and Wrestling With the Past.

Would very much like to hear listeners' thoughts on Backlund vs. Inoki for this one because Pete and I had quite the disagreement over it.

Posted Image

Parv, Johnny, Pete and Kelly plow on through 1980. This episode is dedicated to James.

On the docket:

03-24 ANDRE THE GIANT/PAT PATTERSON vs BOBBY DUNCUM/KEN PATERA MADISON SQUARE GARDEN

04-12 TITO SANTANA/IVAN PUTSKI vs WILD SAMOANS TAG TITLE CHV CLIP PHILADELPHIA SPECTRUM

Plus:

- And Parv, Pete and Kelly argue about the latest installment of Backlund vs. Inoki as yet again Johnny skips his homework

What happened to James? He was a very key element of this podcast.

Posted Image

On the docket:

Plus:

Johnny Sorrow was phenomenal in his tribute to James!!!!! Hopefully James can rise like the Undertaker and return to the show one day.

Truly an epic bio for Blassie. That blinding angle they ran sounded tremendous.

I promised Parv I'd watch Hogan/Backlund prior to listening to the podcast review. 29 minutes of just a tremendous match. Hogan bumps more in the first minute than he does in the entire Tito match from the same YouTube viewing channel sequence-thing (?). Such a cool dynamic with Backlund outhustling Hogan to spots and outworking him early. Crowd eats it up and is super hot throughout. Both guys are put over strong with how they sequence this match. Hogan gets his control segment with the backbreaker out of the headlock. One of my only minor quibbles is Hogan goes to the arm, which goes nowhere, rather than working the back (off the backbreaker and setting up his bear hug + suplex finishers). That and the announcers pondering "do you think Hogan will ever win the title? Maybe in a couple years" OR, YOU KNOW, THE WWF TITLE MATCH YOU'RE WATCHING RIGHT NOW. Way to play up the potential upset.

Bob gets some cool power-out spots, including the one where Hogan flips him back into the armbar. Hogan moves into the bear hug then finally and they crescendo into trading bomb for bomb with two counts including the awesome pile driver spot out of the bear hug. I like Hulk going for the quick covers after he's kicked out himself, showing how the suplexes tax both men.

Fucking Dick Worley is fast-counting like crazy when both guys are down in the ring and I got jumpy hoping that wasn't the finish. It wasn't, so that was cool to be that invested. Then both guys trade airplane spins (ugh) but Backlund manages to topple both guys to the outside NEVER RELEASING THE MOVE. Amazing, but of course fast-counting Dick Worley (no way he went to 15, a fast 10 I'd bet) counts Bob out after he puts Hogan on the apron.

Backlund wants to fight after the match and Hogan dismisses him to a chorus of boos to just seal how awesome this match is.

****1/2

• 2 weeks later...

Nice song Johnny. :) Great, great bio for Blassie. Show was the usual loads for fun to listen to. The Quantum Leap segment was absolutely hilarious. Opening tag match was very good. Andre was still looking good at this point. I wonder exactly when the physical issues effected him in matches. Have seen Hogan/Backlund a few times now and really like it too. Match has early parts I don't like as much with Backlund winning the shoulder tackle spots. Hogan should be knocking Bob down there. Minor issues though. Hogan goes half a hour and it's good! Thought Bruno/Larry was just as good as previous matches but I'd pick the MSG match as the best of the group. Finish was funny with Bruno throwing the chair at Larry's head.

They put the Samoans over strong in their Title win. As clean as a finish you will see for heels winning though Tito did look a bit weak. Skimming other Putski results I see he lost to Valentine by figure four submission. I thought Backlund/Inoki was good. I didn't like their matches in Japan much but this is a lot better and Pete does a great job of saying why. They cut out a lot of the boring crap from those matches. I think with match being in the US, Backlund probably had more of the calling of the match and was not going to let Inoki drag it down to the mat with lifeless rest holds. Much more pace to this one. Won't rate it as high as Pete but not seeing why he got so much hate from everyone else. Bruno should have done Keystone Beer commercials when they were doing the Never Bitter Beer slogan. The sign off to show was amazing.

Truly an epic bio for Blassie. That blinding angle they ran sounded tremendous.

I promised Parv I'd watch Hogan/Backlund prior to listening to the podcast review. 29 minutes of just a tremendous match. Hogan bumps more in the first minute than he does in the entire Tito match from the same YouTube viewing channel sequence-thing (?). Such a cool dynamic with Backlund outhustling Hogan to spots and outworking him early. Crowd eats it up and is super hot throughout. Both guys are put over strong with how they sequence this match. Hogan gets his control segment with the backbreaker out of the headlock. One of my only minor quibbles is Hogan goes to the arm, which goes nowhere, rather than working the back (off the backbreaker and setting up his bear hug + suplex finishers). That and the announcers pondering "do you think Hogan will ever win the title? Maybe in a couple years" OR, YOU KNOW, THE WWF TITLE MATCH YOU'RE WATCHING RIGHT NOW. Way to play up the potential upset.

Bob gets some cool power-out spots, including the one where Hogan flips him back into the armbar. Hogan moves into the bear hug then finally and they crescendo into trading bomb for bomb with two counts including the awesome pile driver spot out of the bear hug. I like Hulk going for the quick covers after he's kicked out himself, showing how the suplexes tax both men.

Fucking Dick Worley is fast-counting like crazy when both guys are down in the ring and I got jumpy hoping that wasn't the finish. It wasn't, so that was cool to be that invested. Then both guys trade airplane spins (ugh) but Backlund manages to topple both guys to the outside NEVER RELEASING THE MOVE. Amazing, but of course fast-counting Dick Worley (no way he went to 15, a fast 10 I'd bet) counts Bob out after he puts Hogan on the apron.

Backlund wants to fight after the match and Hogan dismisses him to a chorus of boos to just seal how awesome this match is.

****1/2

Fuck yeah. I got it at about ****1/2 and I think this is Hogan's best match. It is one of the best symmetrical, tit for tat matches ever with Backlund outpowering Hogan in the short-arm scissors spot. Finally his ego gets the best of him and he loses out due to try out-airplane spin Hogan. Just a fuckin tremendous finish to a great match. Bob Backlund is the fuckin man.

If someone wants to send me Backlund/Inoki from Miami, I would be happy to arbitrate. :D