Pro Wrestling Only

Titans of Wrestling #15

Posted Image

http://placetobenation.com/titans-of-wrest...land-1980-1981/

Big thanks to Pete and Martin for joining me on this show.

Join us as the Titans journey to the wilds of the Pacific Northwest for another look at Portland Wrestling, this time from 1980/81. Kelly assumes the hosting seat, and he is joined by Lead Anaylst Pete and young superstar Martin (Superstar Sleeze, aka "Marty Sleeze") for a fun and insightful exploration of what was once one of the most exciting territories in the NWA.

On the docket tonight:

4-26-80 Buddy Rose vs Rick Martel

6-14-80 Battle Royal

8-2-80 Roddy Piper & Rick Martel vs Buddy Rose & Ed Wiskowski

8-9-80 Buddy Rose vs Rick Martel No DQ

8-16-80 Roddy Piper vs Igor Volkoff

5-1-81 Buddy Rose vs Jay Youngblood

Also on tonight's show:

-Rick Martel: Drawing the ladies to the Portland Sports Arena

-"Dandy" Sandy Barr

-Opinions on Frank Bonnema as an announcer

-A celebration of the greatness of the Buddy Rose vs Rick Martel series

- A show-ending discussion on 1980 Portland vs 1980 WWF

I already messaged Pete about this as soon as I heard but the popsicle analogy for Sandy Barr has to be one of the more ridiculous commentary lines in wrestling history.

Wondering what other matches Pete would throw into the upper echelon along with the first Martel vs. Rose match?

I will admit I still mark out for battle royals. I know the Royal Rumble is the best use of the concept but even a battle royal on smackdown around once a year gets me really excited to watch to that show. I think it may result from playing figures as a kid, having this elaborate card all mapped out, and then at some point saying fuck it and just jamming everyone into the ring until Hogan would win.

That YouTube playlist that Kelly created is fantastic. You can play along at home with your favorites from the Titans of Wrestling Podcast (cue up 80s tv commercial shtick).

4-26-80 Buddy Rose vs. Rick Martel

There is literally not one wasted move or moment in this match. Some of the best mat work you'll ever see, consistent selling and psychology that is just awesome. A clinic on how to make every move count. It's a shame - seems like a chunk of the third fall is cut off, so who knows what goodness we missed there.

Another fun episode!! Portland was such a neat old time promotion. Having read numerous Observer articles on the Northwest territory after the deaths of Rose, Bull Ramos, and Dutch Savage really gives the flavor of the hometown promotion. The old ladies in the crowd who bake cookies & cakes for Rick Martel, Piper and Lonnie Mayne, Sandy Barr's Flea Market, sponsor Tom Peterson, Don Owen the poor old promoter who does his own ring announcing, Dutch Savage the "Sheriff" of the territory, the breaks between falls so they can sell stale popcorn, flat beer and warm soda, the ringsiders who have "owned their seats" for generations and put them in their last will to keep it in the family, and most of all Buddy Rose!

Keep up the great work...Titans can have so many different concept shows and I'm so looking forward to others down the road! I find myself discussing the happenings along with you guys while I listen in the car!!!

Would love to hear a discussion on Florida during the Kevin Sullivan era, or Georgia with the Freebirds, Piper and The Armstrongs.

Thanks!

Another fun episode!! Portland was such a neat old time promotion. Having read numerous Observer articles on the Northwest territory after the deaths of Rose, Bull Ramos, and Dutch Savage really gives the flavor of the hometown promotion. The old ladies in the crowd who bake cookies & cakes for Rick Martel, Piper and Lonnie Mayne, Sandy Barr's Flea Market, sponsor Tom Peterson, Don Owen the poor old promoter who does his own ring announcing, Dutch Savage the "Sheriff" of the territory, the breaks between falls so they can sell stale popcorn, flat beer and warm soda, the ringsiders who have "owned their seats" for generations and put them in their last will to keep it in the family, and most of all Buddy Rose!

Keep up the great work...Titans can have so many different concept shows and I'm so looking forward to others down the road! I find myself discussing the happenings along with you guys while I listen in the car!!!

Would love to hear a discussion on Florida during the Kevin Sullivan era, or Georgia with the Freebirds, Piper and The Armstrongs.

Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words. I know Georgia is in the pipeline at some point. I'd love to talk about Sullivan,

When I said the Rose/Martel was in my top 10 of all time. That might have been hyperbole. It might be. I will say it's in my top 10 of matches I've seen from the 80's. If you haven't seen the match I think it's well worth your time. I think it will give people a greater appreciation of the art of wrestling.

When I said the Rose/Martel was in my top 10 of all time. That might have been hyperbole. It might be. I will say it's in my top 10 of matches I've seen from the 80's. If you haven't seen the match I think it's well worth your time. I think it will give people a greater appreciation of the art of wrestling.

I'll tell you what, the tag match and entire post-match angle/antics are right there for me when ranking against that singles match. The crowd really enhances both matches too. Can't recommend watching the above playlist that Kelly created enough.

I'll tell you what, the tag match and entire post-match angle/antics are right there for me when ranking against that singles match. The crowd really enhances both matches too. Can't recommend watching the above playlist that Kelly created enough.

Portland has a lot of great stuff in it. In a large part due to Buddy. I have the Martel series as his best,his series with Hennig, Youngblood, and Piper are all full of great matches.

We just launched our twitter last night. For Titans of Wrestling. We are @titansowrestlin, if you follow us we'll follow you. We want to make the show more interactive with listeners feedback, having polls on what specials we should do, and many other things. Of course feedback is encouraged here as well. Thanks to everyone who listens. FYI we are blatantly stealing Loss idea.

Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words. I know Georgia is in the pipeline at some point. I'd love to talk about Sullivan,

Memphis has to happen. I want to hear Parv talking Memphis.

Rose vs. Martel - all very logical, but honestly I didn't find the early portion of the match aka "Rose works Martel's leg through a variation of the figure four" terribly compelling. Thought things picked up considerably when Martel took over on Rose's back and then the match finishes. Pete's massive rating is surprising for this one. If pressed on a star rating, I'd probably go about ***3/4

I think it boils down in what we like about wrestling . For me it's logic and I'm a mark for working body parts. The focus of the match is so tight. I know their are a lot of fans if this match out there. Superstar Sleeze gave it 4 1/2*, I know Dylan and Matt D champion the match. In fact I believe Dylan called it his best match in the U.S of 1980. I know Will is a fan if the match . Phil S. liked it enough to make a Schneider comp. This match is a classic.

I think it's probably the best singles match of 1980. I'd listen to arguments for a couple of other matches (Robinson v. Bock from AJPW, Patera v. Backlund Texas Death, maybe even DK v. Fujinami), but I doubt I could be convinced to go against it.

Having said that my MOTY from that year is Wiskowski/Buddy v. Piper/Martel.

I've just paused the tag match to type this, but I'd put all those matches Dylan just listed (with the exception of Fujinami vs. DK) ahead of Rose vs. Martel. Other matches from 80 I have ranked ahead of it also include: Fujinami vs. Chavo, Inoki vs. Hansen (5/9), Backlund vs. Hogan and -- no kidding -- Ivan Putski vs. Larry Zbysko. I've got it about on par with Patterson vs. Patera and Jumbo vs. Slater.

If I had to pick a best match on 1980 right now, it would be Inoki vs. Hansen with Bock vs. Robinson and Patera vs. Backlund as 2 and 3 respectively.