Pro Wrestling Only

Titans of Wrestling #15

Rose/Wiskowski v Piper/Martel - sensational babyface performance by Martel, who was the MVP of this match. In the first fall he shows tremendous fire, in the second does an amazing sell job on his back. The work by Rose and Wiskowski is almost OCD in its focus and they give us four or five backbreaker variations all of which Martel sells as if his spine is being electricuted. Then we get the vertical suplex counter transition spot but because Martel's back has been so injured, it's only a hope spot. Awesome! Martel then delivers two suplex variations but they only serve to kill is back further so he can't capitalise. After the 2nd fall, finally we get a hot tag and I think Piper's flurry of fire, while admittedly manic, is a little bit disappointing. The booking for the finish and post-match stuff with Don Owen was brilliant though and if the job of this match is to make you want to pay for Tuesday's match it certainly did the trick -- give my ticket Mr. Owen!

Considering everyone, ****1/2 and in contention for #2 match of 1980. What a performance from Martel here!

Had some time today. Some of the enthusiasm in this was great. I've lived in this stuff for the last year so I'm glad you enjoyed it and it was nice to hear all the analysis. I do think Portland gains from watching in context, but then, so does everything else. It still stands up great on its own. I need to check out those Chris Colt continental matches at some point. I actually need to see more Continental in general.

I am with Pete over Parv on Logic over Spots. It's sort of the difference between doing the work yourself or having them do it for you. Did you watch the Martel vs Race that they hit on the last Portland show?

Frankly, I think Pete and I could be an intellectual wrestling bloc of some sort. Probably a very boring one.

• 2 months later...

Nice to have Pete join the show. Good job with him and Martin taking turns being analyst of matches for Portland. Had watched the matches ages ago but finally got around to listening to the podcast. Titans history with Pete going the full five stars on his rating for Martel/Rose! I had watched the match before, enjoyed it a lot but was still surprised with the top rating. The praise of it had me wanting to watch it again but my wireless connection sucked at the moment so missed out. Hope to give it another watch. It is a heck of a match but I got Backlund/Patera a good bit higher at the moment.

Agreed with Martin about the lack of female fan base at Survivor Series 2013. :) And props for praising Boston this time around after going against them on last show with your love of the Tigers. I wanted to know more about the side bets for the battle royale. So many potential angles to come out of that with guys putting their houses up, etc. They could have renamed it the Toots Mondt Memorial Battle Royale. Bonnema sure loves Sandy Barr. Was cracking up at the popsicle line by him. Yes, Owen makes the announcement about sponsors asking for the tag match to get moved up but he does not mention them!

Did Kelly say Baron Mikel was the Denucci of the heels?! What a disservice to the legend Dominic. Pinning off a headlock! I loved it actually. All those cranks of the neck. I think Rose is one of the few guys who can get away with losing like that. Think I side with Martin when it comes to announcers. Many of them just are not good. I rank Vince pretty high but I do give credit to Bonnema from what I've heard so far. He does a really good job of explaining things. When it comes to two out of three falls matches, I feel like I am one of the few who does not like them as much. Pete mentioned the series of them from WCW on their weekly shows. Going through the yearbook, I was exhausted from them after a month. Yes, there is the potential to tell more of a story in the ring but I also feel like they use going to all three falls too much. It is like the first two falls cancel each other out.

Keep the Portland shows coming guys.