Pro Wrestling Only

Good Will Wrestling: WWE Network Reaction

Loss

This was a good show - I liked the three-man group and Bix was a great guest.

Couple thoughts:

- Lot of talk of the end of tradional PPVs and how we watch them, but what % of the WWE Universe has high speed internet and is technologically savy enough to move over? I think the traditional PPV buys will still be there for a couple of years (obviously at a lesser number). Would they reduce the PPV price once the Network launches?

- The figure the WWE has noted about the number of homes that buy at least two PPVs a year is very key. Again, there could be limitations technology-wise but that's a decent figure to look at when it comes to potential subs. Plus, if they don't move over and their ordering habits stay the same, the WWE is still making the same amount of money.

- The number they can't predict is how many current illegal streamers make their way over for $9.99 a month. This is all gravy for them.

- Bix pointed out the Ring of Honor setup, but WWNLive is another where an archive of shows is available for streaming only. I don't know if they are subscription versus purchasing regular shows but the indy collecting scene has been shifting to digital for some time now. It's a "cloud" collection versus a physical one.

- I think a lot about collecting and having to be "online" all the time in order to access the Network. There's still something to me to having a physical copy and not having to be connected in order to view things. This same type of thing happens in gaming, where older titles that were harder to have a physical copy of all of a sudden become availble for download and mass consumption. It's not apples to apples with your SuperBrawl 4 example but that feeling crosses genres as technology and consumption habits change.

Every wrestling podcast needs to end with Slayer. Great show guys!

O Hell Yeah!

Depeche Mode is pretty bitchin' also to be fair to Bix.

What I thought was one of the more genius things of this is the subscription contract length. There is no permutation that will be get to get the Royal Rumble, Mania and Summerslam in one subscription thus forcing the 3 PPV watchers to pay the full $120.

As a person that usually purchases 2-3 PPVs a year (Rumble, Mania, and SSlam) the fact I can get all 12 PPVs for the cost of 2 means in my mind as a fan I am getting 10 for free. So as long as they build 3-4 PPVs strong than I think the purchase is justified. Since each PPV is not being sold on its merits, this will introduce the risk of creative laziness (though I think their lazy anyways) as Charles points out. I don't think its the length of the contract that mitigates the risk of creative laziness, but the fact they will continually want to generate new revenue from new fans. This will continue to keep the TV and "PPVs/Supercards" strong. Now on the "Nitro " Model (great name, Will) vs. "Supercard" Model, it can go either way, but I think if you assume the vast majority of fans will have PPV results at their fingers and they see a trend of non-finishes and building to the TV they will not subscribe. Since they are seeing the finishes on TV. I don't think anything has changed since day one of pro wrestling, if you want to see the big matches you have to pay. However, the counterpoint is well they have your money already so in reality they can shit the bed on about 8 PPVs and as along as they have about 4 strong ones I could see them being fine. In a lot of ways, I see WWE actually going back to the early to mid 90s model of 4 big shows with other 8 shows being more Clash or SNME style shows. The incentive of strong creative on TV will always be necessary for new fans and at least 3-4 PPVs will still need to be strong in my opinion. That being said I dont think WWE knows what "strong" or "lazy" creative is so I don't think we actually see a change in styles :D

Why do people think that WWE won't end up putting up as much content as they did on their 24/7 channel. Is it because they are hosting it rather than a cable company? Would they have not had to pay the cable company for the server space? I really don't understand because to me if you did for one on demand service why would you not eventually do it for this one. I agree with Charles that re-releases make business sense so yes they will not be add stuff at lightning speed.