Pro Wrestling Only

Good Will Wrestling: WWE Network Reaction

Loss

The new WWE network is the topic on everyone's lips so we thought we would jump on board the bandwagon and give our thoughts on the topic. Will is joined by his Wrestling With the Past co-host Charles and David Bixenspan from bleacherreport.com to discuss how the WWE network will affect old school fans, fans of the current product and other wrestling promotions. We'll discuss the difference in booking under the current PPV model and under a subscription model. All this and more in an opinion-filled 90 minutes.

http://placetobenation.com/good-will-wrest...twork-reaction/

I side with Bix on the deployment speed of content. I do think WWE is in a position with them discussing the entire video library that the entire "season" release of 1995 Raw should be looked at as an event that happens semi-regularly. Certainly more than 1 new episode a week.

As far as saturation of reviews go, I actually think it may be more scatterbrained as everything will be so available that a lack of focus or digestion for discussion may result. I liken it to having a well prepared steak and describing all the elements of what went into the dish compared to going to a buffet and just gorging out on food.

I also agree that this was a real no turning back move for WWE and the thought of it failing is a scary one in the landscape of wrestling.

Great show.

I'm with Bix as far as his optimism goes. Maybe it's something that comes with being 29 for some random reason. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't want to get as much content on the platform as soon as possible, because it will likely take more than what they have at roll-out to retain the kind of subscription numbers they need past that six month window. And the goal has to also be gaining more subs via word of mouth - the hardcores talking to their lapsed fan buddies and telling them to give it a shot.

Too much is being made of what their numbers are at launch, and I think the forest kind of gets missed for the trees at times. They have to keep on selling the network, and that's what has to drive them to put out current wrestling that is compelling. It's not like they can just go into shutdown/coast mode after Mania just because they got $60 out of 750 K people (as a number out of thin air) one time. They have to keep the Network vital, especially since they have essentially closed off the entire model of traditional PPV.

Though I agree with everyone that we don't need more Scott Keiths running around.

The rate at which they add content to the Vault is going to determine whether I sign up or not after the week-long trial. I do believe that full seasons or at least large portions of seasons will be posted with more regularity than Will thinks. WWE also made it sound like singular specific matches will have a section in addition to shows and PPV's.

I stream or download anything I want to see now, but I'm willing to pay for the content if the Network is full of a wide variety of things I'm interested at seeing, especially in such an accessible manner. I just don't want it to be "Best Week Ever" WWE style.

The interest probably goes down significantly once you get away from WWE PPVs (and major TV) and then to a lesser extent WCW PPVs. After that the cost/benefit kicks in. Things like B/C shows or old territory footage or MSG spot shows has its audience but it's in the tens of thousands and not the hundreds? That's a guess. I don't know how the dvds did off the top of my head but a lot of that would be people who would buy the network anyway even without it I bet.

If I was trying to release additional content in an order that I thought would appeal to the most people, I would probably go additional WWE footage, followed by WCW (with heavier focus on the JCP and Nitro eras), followed by ECW footage. Everything beyond that has niche appeal and it's probably not too critical. Of WWE footage, when they tap into old stuff, I think the Saturday Night's Main Events will be very popular, and so might the old episodes of Superstars and Prime Time Wrestling.

If I was trying to release additional content in an order that I thought would appeal to the most people, I would probably go additional WWE footage, followed by WCW (with heavier focus on the JCP and Nitro eras), followed by ECW footage. Everything beyond that has niche appeal and it's probably not too critical. Of WWE footage, when they tap into old stuff, I think the Saturday Night's Main Events will be very popular, and so might the old episodes of Superstars and Prime Time Wrestling.

Actually, 2013 DVD sales figures would seem to indicate that JCP/WCW would appeal to the biggest audience as three out of the top four DVDs were WCW based (the other being WrestleMania 29).

I'm sure there are contractual reasons they aren't. I don't think they would just purposely hold off launching anywhere if they had their way.

I know, it's television contracts. We were late with netflix too.

One of the problems is that NXT airs here, exclusively on The Score, so having it on the network is an issue.

I'm sure there are contractual reasons they aren't. I don't think they would just purposely hold off launching anywhere if they had their way.

I know, it's television contracts. We were late with netflix too.

One of the problems is that NXT airs here, exclusively on The Score, so having it on the network is an issue.

I'm pretty sure the bigger issue is that Sportsnet360 has the exclusive Canadian web rights for Raw, Smackdown, Vintage and NXT. That's really the biggest difference between WWE content in the two countries. NBCUniversal never had the exclusive web rights.

Great podcast.

Do you think the WWE will get away from the one PPV per month model as a result of the network and possibly go every two months instead? I know traditional PPV buys will dry up, but I wonder if the WWE will want to continue to keep the buzz every month with a "special" or to cut back and allow each event to feel more important.

I am thinking positive about the success and content available on Network. There are plenty of PPVs I have yet to see in full that will keep me busy enough for viewing to go along with all the other DVD stuff I'm watching like yearbooks and Lucha set. I don't think they will roll out full seasons of shows though releasing maybe a month of episodes at a time for specific show would be cool. Thinking the same as Will when it comes to Home Video releases. The stuff released in the more recent years that is elsewhere in other digital forms will be the first stuff to show up.

Legends House does not appeal to me but I'll at least check it out once. WrestleMania Rewind and Countdown will work fine for me when I want someone on in the background. Agreed that booking is going to be even more important going forward. I'll be watching PPVs for the first time since WrestleMania 21. If they bring back those lapsed fans who want to check out the archives. Good chance they are going to at least check out the current PPVs too. More eye balls watching. Maybe people go to a live show and buy a shirt while they are there. Network will have me giving the current produce another chance. I'll see all the PPVs for rest of year. Probably will not watch everything from Raw and Smackdown but I can skim through stuff on replay to see what is worth checking out. I don't have DVR so Network gives me more flexibility to watch stuff how I want.

Searching for Barry Darsaw matches sounds like the perfect first thing to do. :) Interesting point on how that search by wrestler thing works. How will they handle the more protected characters like Undertaker and Kane. Another good listen and am looking forward to HHH show and the 1992 Year in Review. That WWE/Kayfabe podcast sounds like could be loads of fun.

Just thought of something.

How is this going to affect other sports with massive historical libraries? I.e. if this hits the jackpot, can I see a day where instead of random games selected every so often on the cable network, I can go on my phone, or tablet and say watch the entire 1984 NFL postseason whenever I want?

Or every game, available, of a World Series (from the first broadcast through 1973 there are still massive holes still need to be filled), NBA Finals and Stanley Cup Final.

Now, I'm not going to go overboard with regular season stuff, but I could see part of the model including a special "favorite team" package for a little extra where you could get access to everything, again that's available considering the pre-video (and even a little after) history of television networks and stations just not saving things (Johnny Carson's entire New York run lost to the ages for example), of that particular team.

What about other "teams" Hmmmm... I don't know, a "pay as you go" if you signed up for the Cubs package and wanted to see the Orioles-Yankee game where Cal Ripken, Jr. finally sat out to end the streak (I want to say final game of the 1998 season) for example.

Anyway, just spit balling since that probably would be something to look at in terms of how to watch sports in the coming years.