Pro Wrestling Only

[1981-02-16-WWF-MSG, NY] Bob Backlund vs Stan Hansen

Loss

• 2 years later...

WWF Heavyweight Champion Bob Backlund vs Stan Hansen - WWF MSG 2/16/81

Two of my favorites that just never managed to have that all time classic together. My favorite match of theirs is still the 1980 NJPW match, but this is the best of the New York matches. It starts off auspiciously with Hansen meeting Backlund at the gate and Backlund firing off rounds into Hansen's face and then a belt shot for good measure. Backlund actually pretty much straight up kicks ass. We know Hansen is an asskicker so I was like maybe I was just kinda out of it the first time I watched it, but then I realized what my issue was. Hansen was pretty content to just sit in holds. I thought Backlund did keep them interesting with his struggling and facial expressions. One classic Backlund moment is Hansen is trying wrangle Bob back into an armbar and most people would let him do it, but Backlund kicks him right in the face before he can get it on. It is those little touches that make Backlund one of the best to have ever lace them up. The match picks up once Backlund blasts Hansen with a high knee! Then runs through his bombs: butterfly suplex, vertical suplex and PILEDRIVER~! Backlund whiffs on a high knee and crashes to floor. Hansen busts Backlund open with fists. You can see Backlund concentrating on trying to pump blood through his forehead and his selling is great. Hansen beats him senseless with fists and gnaws at him. This is really good. Backlund fires up with rapid fire punches to the gut and then big time punches send Hansen reeling to outside where Backlund busts him open. They brawl in the ring and ref has lost control and it Is a No Contest due to excessive bleeding.

The beginning and the finish stretch were pretty awesome and want you want from these two, but the middle was pretty boring. Wish we got that one kickass Backlund/Hansen brawl. ***3/4

• GSR changed the title to [1981-02-16-WWF-MSG, NY] Bob Backlund vs Stan Hansen