Pro Wrestling Only

Best Match talk

Loss

So ... we're going to be starting something very similar to what DVDVR is doing at their board, but slightly different. Beginning some time around the first of the year, we're going to be doing a long series of Best Match lists, based on the interest in the idea when I did my recent poll. The idea is that we start nominations now for as much stuff in all categories as we possibly can. I will go about trying to track down as much of the footage that's nominated as I possibly can and send out DVDs with the matches included for those who are participating. The only costs involved would be covering postage and blank DVDs. If there was a service fee, it would be minimal.

The only issues are as follows.

(1) We need to ensure that people who get the footage will be participating. If they aren't participating and they're just using this as an opportunity to get tons of footage cheap, I'm going to have a problem with that. So, let's agree on a solid plan if someone just tries to ape a bunch of DVDs and doesn't talk about the matches and ways in which they'll be tortured. Obviously, there are going to be extenuating circumstances at times, but we need to find a way to discourage this as much as possible.

(2) How do we want to divide the categories? I'm thinking the following.

US Pre-1980

US 80s

US 90s

US 00s

Japan Pre-1980

Japan 80s

Japan 90s

Japan 00s

Mexico Pre-1990

Mexico 90s

Mexico 00s

Europe (all)

After doing those categories individually, we could do overall lists. Since we're covering a more broad spectrum at a time than DVDVR is with their lists, we'll go at a slower pace. Nothing says that you'd have to participate in every single tournament, but if you didn't participate in every single tournament, you wouldn't be allowed to participate in any of the overall tournaments because you wouldn't have seen all the nominated footage.

We're in the process right now of creating another subfolder to deal with all of this, and I'll move this topic there at that time. I'm going to start a thread for each category and we can make nominations there.

For now, I just wanted to put this out there and gauge interest in doing this. This would be done at a very slow pace, probably one set every 90 days or so, and I'm thinking a Top 100 in every category seems about right, but we may have to make some adjustments along the way as footage availability will be a factor.

Anyway, this is a thread for thoughts and suggestions, so have at it.

Sounds like a pretty solid plan. The only downside would be like you said, people who use this as a way to get the DVDs then don't take part in the main event. Since we're a small enough community, it should be fairly easy to keep track of who was sent DVDs and then compare that with who takes part in the tournaments.

I'd say most of us here would be fully engaged in the concept, so we shouldn't let fear of leechers take away from the project. If it becomes too big of a concern, perhaps a deposit system could be drawn up so people would have some motivation to contribute and not leech.

For point #2, I like how you have things divided up in terms of time period, I'd go with how you have it.

It will be included with Japan. I like the idea of making the men and women vie for those same spots on the Japanese lists, just to show how competitive the women were at their peak. If we come up with just an insane amount of matches, we can always expand the number of matches we're doing for a given category.

I'm actually going to try to get involved with the stuff this time around. It'll be tough to compare all the 5-star matches though, so it should make for some interesting conversation, if nothing else.

So, we pay you for the blank DVD's or we send you blank DVD's?

Whichever you choose, Coffey. We'll have details as we get closer on that. So you're welcome to send the DVDs to me or whoever in the mail for conversion OR you can send an amount equivalent, basically.

Brian, the only thing about MMA is that I feel guilty talking about the "quality" of a real fight. Others may differ though. How long has MMA been around? Where does the line get drawn? Are Kingdom, K-1, RINGS and UWF-i considered MMA or pro wrestling?

Guest Famous Mortimer

Re: MMA, I'd give a qualified no. I just think it's a developing sport, and the people who do it now are substantially better than the guys who were doing it only a decade ago. But I'd happily nominate some great matches if other people disagree.

Guest TheShawshankRudotion

Well, the UFC has been around for 12 years and PRIDE has been around for 8 (and shows like SHOOTO, RINGS, Pancrase, Extreme Challenge, KOTC, etc. have been around for years as well ), so I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility to come up with some matches from them on par with the wrestling lists. UWFi wasn't around for that long, but it still qualifies for professional wrestling, plus most of the sections are divided into decades, so there shouldn't be a time issue. I think if you went from 1995-2005, you'd be able to eliminate some of the junk (from both UFC and the works from Pancrase) and get into the time periods where MMA was truly developing. 1996, 1997 and 1998 had some legit contenders for top 20 Best Fights of All Time.

If we do MMA what about "worked" fights? Pancrase which I love and reportably Pride has had work and shoot matches. Than there are those matches where nobody can agree on wether it's a shoot, half shoot or complete work. It really isn't fair to compare a work and a shoot in terms of a match rating.

I love this idea of putting the together all the great matches. I just wish this had happened years ago when I was in my ultimate hardcore wrestling fandom.

I assume US nominations includes Canada as well? because I'd like to nominate various matches from the great white north.

WP, I am pretty sure Canada is fair game, however, are there any Stampede matches that are in some complete form?

I just discovered this thread about 20 minutes ago and in my haste/excitement to eat up all the information I could I missed a couple of things while reading.

Yeah some are but most aren't unfortunately. There were also a lot of potential great matches taken off of TV because they were too violent.

I'm thinking if 8 to 10 minutes are shown of a JIP match it'd be okay to nominate?

Because it'd be a crying shame if the Owen Hart/Basserb vs Viet Cong Express matches aren't nominated even though most of the matches aren't shown. I remember they did get on a "Top 100 Matches of the 80s list" before so there's no reason why they can't now.

BTW, how long do we have to nominate stuff for the lists?

I'm thinking if 8 to 10 minutes are shown of a JIP match it'd be okay to nominate?

Maybe 8 out of 10 minutes? Thay is what drives me nuts about the Can-Ams v. Kikuchi/Kobashi match. It is such a great friggin match that I want to se the first half dammit. Still, I would be hesitant too nominate a match that isn't at least 50-60% complete.

Maybe 8 out of 10 minutes? Thay is what drives me nuts about the Can-Ams v. Kikuchi/Kobashi match. It is such a great friggin match that I want to se the first half dammit. Still, I would be hesitant too nominate a match that isn't at least 50-60% complete.

I know, same here.

I'll just nominate matches than that are mostly shown but I do ask for the Viet Cong Express vs Owen Basserb matches to be allowed as an exception. Their moveset and workrate were amazing in these and I want everybody to have the pleasure of seeing it.

Some matches like Dynamite vs Bruce or Bret and a 10 man elimination tag I saw you can still get a good feel for. I feel almost bad if I didn't nominate them.

It's like that late 80s multiwoman Joshi tag with the unreal heat. It wouldn't be fair to take that off of a nomination list.

(Edited}

Are you talking about the elimination match off the Epic Battles tape? If so, I just watched the clip about ten minutes ago.

You know when I got that Stampede Epic Battles tape it got cut off on me after the first couple of matches so I never saw what was on after that. I got the matchup from a different source.

If Dynamite and Myers run away after getting obliberated (specifically DK) setting up a tag title match for the next week against Bret and Davey (which doesn't happen because Myers got injured) than odds say yes it's the same match.

Dynamite eats a piledriver, a boot to the face off of a slingshot suplex, the fastest upside down flip into the turnbuckle ever and a flying shoulder tackle from the top rope at the end of the match. Does that sound familiar?

• 1 month later...