Pro Wrestling Only

US 80s nominations

Loss

Use this thread to nominate matches you've seen that you think are good that would fit in this category. We'll keep this and all other topics open for the remainder of the year so you can add matches anytime you come across something you see that you like.

Rock n Roll Express vs. I. Koloff/Kruschev (aired 7/9/85 NWA Worldwide)

Midnight Express vs. Rock n Roll Express (4/12/86, air date unknown from Japan TV)

Midnight Express vs. Fantastics (taped 3/12, aired 3/26/88 NWA Pro)

Midnight Express vs. Fantastics (aired 3/27/88 NWA Clash)

Midnight Express vs. Fantastics (taped 4/26, aired 5/14/88 NWA Worldwide)

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

Ricky Steamboat v Ric Flair - April 2nd 1989

Ricky Steamboat v Ric Flair - May 7th 1989

Ricky Steamboat v Bret Hart - 1986 (Boston(?))

Ric Flair v Ronnie Garvin (cage) - 1986, not sure of exact time and location, but it was a house show in SC or NC.

Guest Famous Mortimer

From the first NWA TV comp I popped in:

Dusty Rhodes / Magnum TA / Manny Fernandez v. Ric Flair / Arn Anderson / Ole Anderson (Dec. 85?)

Amazing stuff. Crowd are off the charts hot for this one, and everyone delivers.

Ted DiBiase v Dick Murdoch (Mid South 12/31/85)

Midnight Express & Ernie Ladd v Rock & Roll Express & Hacksaw Duggan (Mid South 06/08/84)

Midnight Rockers v Doug Somers & Buddy Rose (AWA 12/25/86)

Curt Hennig v Nick Bockwinkel (AWA 11/25/86, aired on ESPN 12/31/86)

Ric Flair v Kerry Von Erich (WCCW 08/15/82)

Ric Flair v Kerry Von Erich (Hawaii 10/85)

Freebirds v Von Erichs (WCCW 07/04/83)

Bret Hart v Randy Savage (WWF 11/11/87, aired on SNME 11/28/87)

Randy Savage v Ricky Steamboat (WWF 03/29/87 - Wrestlemania III)

Hart Foundation v Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard (WWF 08/28/89 - Summerslam)

War Games (NWA Great American Bash 07/04/87)

Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard v Lex Luger & Barry Windham (Clash I 03/27/88)

Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard v Lex Luger & Barry Windahm (NWA 04/20/88 aired on TBS 04/23/88)

Midnight Express v Fantastics (NWA Great American Bash 07/10/88)

Ric Flair v Lex Luger (NWA Starrcade 12/26/88)

Tully Blanchard v Ricky Steamboat (NWA Starrcade 11/29/84)

Ric Flair & Sting v Dick Slater & Great Muta (NWA Clash VIII 09/89)

Guest DylanWaco

Ted DiBiase v Dick Murdoch (Mid South 12/31/85)

Midnight Express & Ernie Ladd v Rock & Roll Express & Hacksaw Duggan (Mid South 06/08/84)

Midnight Rockers v Doug Somers & Buddy Rose (AWA 12/25/86)

Curt Hennig v Nick Bockwinkel (AWA 11/25/86, aired on ESPN 12/31/86)

Ric Flair v Kerry Von Erich (WCCW 08/15/82)

Ric Flair v Kerry Von Erich (Hawaii 10/85)

Freebirds v Von Erichs (WCCW 07/04/83)

Bret Hart v Randy Savage (WWF 11/11/87, aired on SNME 11/28/87)

Randy Savage v Ricky Steamboat (WWF 03/29/87 - Wrestlemania III)

Hart Foundation v Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard (WWF 08/28/89 - Summerslam)

god bless you for The Rockers Cage Match love. also god bless you for the Kerry/Ric Hawaii Draw

Guest DylanWaco

Flair v. Stemboat Meadowlands 84

Flair v. Steamboat Chi-Town Rumble

Flair v. Funk Great American Bash 89

Barry Windham v. Flair Battle of The Belts

Windham v. Flair Worldwide (87 I THINK)

Tully v. T.A. Starrcade 85 I Quit Match

Steamboat v. Savage WM III

Does a full tape exist of the 26 fall Texas Death match from Memphis. The heavily clipped version I have is a shitload of fun, but it's hard to tell how good the actual match was from that alone

Roddy Piper vs. Greg Valentine (11/24/1983 -- Dog Collar match from Starrcade)

The Brisco Brothers vs. Jay Youngblood/Ricky Steamboat (11/24/1983--NWA Tag Team Title match from Starrcade)

The Rougeau Brothers vs. The British Bulldogs (8/29/1988 -- SummerSlam)

The Rougeau Brothers/Rick Martel vs. The Rockers/Tito Santana (8/28/1989 -- SummerSlam)

Guest DylanWaco

What's the date on the Flair/Morton match in 86?

I'm really bad with dates, so my ability to nominate some stuff is kinda eh. For instance there is a Backlund/Muraco match that is the best match of Bob's career and ought to be included, but I"m not sure of the date. I'm also high on some of Adonis' work from the 80's but damned if I know the dates for those matches.

If the Backlund/Patera is gonna be mentioned Paterson and Slaughter really ought to also.

I've got some Raw Footage Mid-Atlantic stuff that is good as all hell, but I know none of the dates

Anyone got any Portland pimpage or some more AWA?

Guest DylanWaco

I should just start using the edit key, but I'm trying to artificially inflate my post count

anyhow, the Survivor Series 87 twenty man tag should definately be nominated.

Flair v. Stemboat Meadowlands 84

Flair v. Steamboat Chi-Town Rumble

Flair v. Funk Great American Bash 89

Barry Windham v. Flair Battle of The Belts

Windham v. Flair Worldwide (87 I THINK)

Tully v. T.A. Starrcade 85 I Quit Match

Steamboat v. Savage WM III

Does a full tape exist of the 26 fall Texas Death match from Memphis.  The heavily clipped version I have is a shitload of fun, but it's hard to tell how good the actual match was from that alone

I think I have access to a version that's about as complete as you'll find. It's a definite nomination and I've added it.

What's the date on the Flair/Morton match in 86?

I'm really bad with dates, so my ability to nominate some stuff is kinda eh.  For instance there is a Backlund/Muraco match that is the best match of Bob's career and ought to be included, but I"m not sure of the date.  I'm also high on some of Adonis' work from the 80's but damned if I know the dates for those matches.

If the Backlund/Patera is gonna be mentioned Paterson and Slaughter really ought to also.

I've got some Raw Footage Mid-Atlantic stuff that is good as all hell, but I know none of the dates

Anyone got any Portland pimpage or some more AWA?

I'm blessed with a freakish memory, so I should be able to pull dates if you have info on the town the match took place in or even the finish or if there were any gimmicks attached. The more info you have when you don't have a date and a promotion, the better, because I can almost always track it down.

Flair and Morton had a handful of matches in '86. One was a handheld that showed 35 minutes of a 60-minute draw. One showed the first 15 minutes of the match on NWA Pro in May of '86 and what's shown is out - freakin' - standing! They had a cage match on the GAB tour that Flair won by hooking the tights that only aired on Japanese TV (which I have). The first match they had was impromptu and took place in the Techwood Drive studio on TBS and ended with Morton getting the pin (with Gibson doing the counting). Is it one of those?

If you can tell me some of Adonis's opponents, I can probably find matches.

I'll add Patterson/Slaughter now.

On Mid Atlantic stuff, if any of the matches are title changes, we can almost certainly find dates. If we can figure out an estimate on some of that older footage, we can go with that. Also, the booking (I know the date parameters for most of Flair's face/heel runs) will help. Basically, the more info you can provide, the better.

I can make Portland suggestions and will do so. Problem is that I don't have dates for a lot of them and I'll have to make a lot of suggestions on hearsay. With Portland footage, I'll probably pick up the footage and then weed out the bad stuff, so something is there representing the territory.

AWA suggestions that haven't been mentioned yet:

03/01/81 - Nick Bockwinkel v Tito Santana

06/28/81 - Adrian Adonis v Jim Brunzell

10/17/82 - Adrian Adonis v Hulk Hogan

09/23/83 - Rick Martel v Nick Bockwinkel

08/11/84 - Bruiser Brody v Crusher Blackwell

09/30/84 - Bruiser Brody v Crusher Blackwell

09/25/85 - Harley Race, Bill & Scott Irwin v Giant Baba, Jumbo Tsuruta & Genichiro Tenryu

11/??/85 - Ric Flair v Nick Bockwinkel (Winnipeg)

11/22/85 - Curt Hennig v Nick Bockwinkel

04/20/86 - Harley Race v Rick Martel (all 4/20 dates are Wrestlerock '86)

04/20/86 - Midnight Rockers v Doug Somers & Buddy Rose

12/25/86 - Curt Hennig v Nick Bockwinkel (Brawl In St Paul)

05/02/87 - Curt Hennig v Nick Bockwinkel

10/01/87 - Jerry Lawler & Bill Dundee v Soldat Ustinov & Doug Somers

I can also recommend Lawler/Kerry from Superclash III as a nomination. Plenty of AWA matches aired on AJ Classics as well. I'll scour those lists later.

IF ANYONE HAS SEEN AND CAN COMMENT GOOD OR BAD ON ANY OF THE MATCHES ABOVE, PLEASE DO SO. Thanks.

Guest DylanWaco

I haven't seen that, but I'd imagine it is very good. They also have that second Texas Death match from 83 that is reviewed in the latest DVDVR. It gets a pretty good review, but I don't think it's that good of a match and won't nominate it.

I will however now nominate IRON SHEIK V. SGT. SLAUGHTER BOOT CAMP MATCH 6/84

Guest Famous Mortimer

I'll add, in case it's not been done:

Hulk Hogan v. Andre the Giant 03/29/87

Mine, and I imagine a bunch of other people's, ultimate mark-out moment.