Pro Wrestling Only

Place to Be Network: WrestleMania Rewind: WrestleMania IV w/ Parv, Scott, Rich & Steven

Bigelow34

It is WrestleMania season and in this entry of the Place to Be Network WrestleMania Rewind Series, Scott Criscuolo is joined by Parv, Steven Graham, and our friend Rich Kraetsch from Voices of Wrestling to talk WrestleMania IV. They take a detailed look into the build up to WrestleMania IV including reviewing old Wrestling Observers to frame the time period. They also share their thoughts on the individual workers and the show overall.

Stay tuned to the PTB Network for future WrestleMania Rewind episodes as various PTBN staffers and friends of the site talk about individual Manias and overall Mania moments and concepts. Note: This episode is two parts!

Don’t forget you can find PTB Network shows on iTunes (under Place to Be Podcast) as well as Stitcher. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter also!

Re. Meltzer bringing up Al Perez in comparison with Hogan, Flair and Hennig ... wasn't Perez World Class champion at the time?

Believe it or not I had a little voice in the back of my head telling me this. I even wrote it in my notes. In a rare glimpse behind the curtain, here is a screen shot of my notes:

wm4.jpg

I didn't get a chance to look this up before recording and then during the show I sort of ruled out the idea of Perez being the WCCW champ in my mind as being preposterous. Texas is kind of a blind spot for me.

Re. Meltzer bringing up Al Perez in comparison with Hogan, Flair and Hennig ... wasn't Perez World Class champion at the time?

Believe it or not I had a little voice in the back of my head telling me this. I even wrote it in my notes. In a rare glimpse behind the curtain, here is a screen shot of my notes:

wm4.jpg

I didn't get a chance to look this up before recording and then during the show I sort of ruled out the idea of Perez being the WCCW champ in my mind as being preposterous. Texas is kind of a blind spot for me.

This was a year after Black Bart was WCCW Champ, so it wasn't their best time.

On the first Saturday Night's Main Event after WMIV, the specific reason given for One Man Gang getting the first title shot was that Savage didn't pin him in the tournament, so that gives credence to the theory that was why he was protected at Mania. Savage pinned him on the Main Event but only after botched manager interference. It was pretty much the last thing of note he did in the WWF under that gimmick. I seem to recall he had one more squash match before he abandonned his caucasian ways.

Fun podcast, I loved the discussion of the buildup. WMIV was the first Mania that took place during my active wrestling viewership, I also enjoyed it at the time but progressively less so on subsequent viewings. One rumor I heard was that most of the wrestlers had been up late the night before, drinking and gambling, which is the reason for some of the more listless performances. Full credit to Steamboat for a solid match, which was probably sheer bloody mindedness on his part : one last "fuck you" to Vince for fucking him on the way out.

Honestly, I just thought it wasn't the time or place to get into it. As host I was thinking "hmmm, 30 minutes on this now, or let it go and keep momentum up?" Sometimes you gotta call it on the fly like Flair. :D

I know Johnny likes to reference this on Titans but in the vein of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade:

You chose wisely