Pro Wrestling Only

Biggest Shift of Emotion

BBscout

An example of it going the other way is Garvn vs. Flair at Starrcade 87. That Chicago crowd was fucking pissed off after the Road Warriors didn't win the belts. They were shitting on Garvin and trying to shit on the match and they are losing their shit by the end it and popping big. That match literally turns the crowd around. Although they are basically cheering on Flair during it.

Guest stanley

For me I don't ever think I have been so dissapointe in a match than the Bret Hart/Shawn Michael's Broadway from WM. About 20 minutes in I went from pumped to deflated. I still don't understand the widespread admiration.

Luger/Flair GAB89.....?

Did you mean the 1991 Bash where Flair left the company? Yeah, that match WAS a let down!

I think he meant 88, where Luger had Flair in the Torture Rack and the match was stopped for a small trickle of blood.

Yeah meant 88 and instances like that, where it went from high to low that quick. Luger-Flair probably the best example of what I mentioned since the others actually got some heat. Can't remember if War Games 97 did or not with NWO in Charlotte. Always read about how it 'killed the town.'

Montreal is a bit too obvious, but that crowd was jacked and the match was fantastic.

I've always said this is the only factor of Montreal I don't get bored hearing / talking about. THAT match just before the ending. It was white hot, anticipated and superbly executed.

Sadly the match is never spoken about, only the ending. To death. Ad nauseam.

The first thing that came to my mind was Rock vs Hogan at WMX8. I don't know what could have followed that match but the crowd went from white hot to dead silent.

Summerslam 03. The crowd was going nuts as Goldberg plowed through everyone in the Elimination Chamber, until that crappy Triple H sledgehammer finish.

When Foley got pinned against HHH in the cell in his "retirement" match, you felt the crowd winded by that one. Foley was so fucking popular back then, it's frightening to think how badly his stock has fallen.

WrestleMania 25 always comes to mind for me.

Just an insanely hot crowd for Taker/Michaels, a quiet buzz for Cena/Edge/Big Show then absolutely not a peep out of anyone for Orton/HHH.

Hmm....what do all these things have in common?

An example of it going the other way is Garvn vs. Flair at Starrcade 87. That Chicago crowd was fucking pissed off after the Road Warriors didn't win the belts. They were shitting on Garvin and trying to shit on the match and they are losing their shit by the end it and popping big. That match literally turns the crowd around. Although they are basically cheering on Flair during it.

Unfortunately that Road Warriors match absolutely killed Chicago for years afterwards.

The first thing that came to my mind was Rock vs Hogan at WMX8. I don't know what could have followed that match but the crowd went from white hot to dead silent.

Summerslam 03. The crowd was going nuts as Goldberg plowed through everyone in the Elimination Chamber, until that crappy Triple H sledgehammer finish.

When Foley got pinned against HHH in the cell in his "retirement" match, you felt the crowd winded by that one. Foley was so fucking popular back then, it's frightening to think how badly his stock has fallen.

WrestleMania 25 always comes to mind for me.

Just an insanely hot crowd for Taker/Michaels, a quiet buzz for Cena/Edge/Big Show then absolutely not a peep out of anyone for Orton/HHH.

Hmm....what do all these things have in common?

This proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that Triple H, The Game, The Cerebral Assassin, is owed a debt of gratitude from the WWE Universe as the Safest Superstar of All Time. It is incalculable how many injuries The Game has prevented by protecting fans from their own jubilation and excitement.

For me I don't ever think I have been so dissapointe in a match than the Bret Hart/Shawn Michael's Broadway from WM. About 20 minutes in I went from pumped to deflated. I still don't understand the widespread admiration.

Actually, this match gets pooped on pretty much everywhere. People always have something negative to say about that match.

I, for one, loved it though. I thought the match played well off the buildup and the Survivor Series match a couple years prior. Bret said his strategy going in was that knowing he had an hour and knowing Michaels took a lot of risks, he'd wait and then capitalize on it. HBK would take more risks to get the falls back and keep making mistakes. But instead, Michaels went in to the match and worked a "slow pace" where he didn't take any chances that Brett predicted he'd do. Fast forward to fifteen minutes left in the match, Michaels grows impatient and "the showstopper" comes out and and he starts going for moonsalts and spinning double axehandles. And with about 90 seconds left, he takes one more risk, goes for the dropkick off the top where he finally made the mistake that Bret was about to capitalize on. He caught him and threw him in the sharpshooter just like he had a couple years prior from the same move. But this time Shawn lucked out because the time limit expired. And then we all know how it goes from there. Maybe it just holds a special place in my heart because I used to love Shawn Michaels growing up and I was happy to see him win.

But yeah, my original point was I thought it was really odd you'd refer to that match as having widespread admiration when everything I've ever read about that match is complete disdain.