Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Network and Customer Service Stories

Loss

I can personally vouch for the "let me connect you to someone else" = disconnected part. It happened to me at least 9 or 10 times. I also ran into some rather clueless CSRs in general, like one who told me that the Network wouldn't work in Chrome, and others who didn't understand that even if you were only signing up for the free trial, you still needed to provide payment info. That said, some of this guy's conduct seems pretty over the line.

I can attest as someone who works for a large cable company everyone hates, his account of what happened is probably only slightly exaggerated. Companies know they need to provide some form of customer service but they don't want to pay the money for one that actually accomplishes much of anything. So what you end up with is outsourced support where weary and/or upset customers and poorly trained non-native English speakers collide.

Rogers, the major telecom giant in Canada, definitely has staff that make use of the "let me transfer you to someone else, oops I accidentally hung up on you" trick. I figure it's a standard practice that's taught with these big companies if they run into customers they simply think are complaining too loud.

The lady who laughed at him for taking the day off of work was 100 percent right for doing so.

Agreed.

However, I do have a Network tech support horror story to share ... My wife was off on Monday while I had to work and so I had her sign us up for the Network. She got to the payment screen but never got a confirmation that anything went through, so I signed us up on my lunch break. Low and behold, she had gotten through because we both were charged for the Network. So she, decides to call customer service to cancel her account, gets disconnected TWELVE TIMES. When she asked for a supervisor, they told her "we're not allowed to do that". I called when I got home from work to cancel my account. I was able to get through, albeit to someone who didn't speak very good English, and explained the situation. She was very confused. I told her again what happened and that I wanted to cancel my account. She said OK and to hold on since it would take her a minute to do so. Eventually after 20 minutes, I was put on hold for about six minutes and blindly transferred to someone who picked up the phone and simply said "hello, are you there?". I said yes and they told me my account was canceled. How on earth it took them nearly 30 minutes to cancel my account is ridiculous. We're now using my wife's account for the Network and everything is working good now.

As someone who used to work in a tech support environment, it's completely believable. You're dealing with idiots greater than half of the time, and it wears on you. Eventually, no matter how well-intentioned you are, you start putting the surliness back at the customers. Anyone that starts to bug you gets "transferred....oops". But really, what do you expect from someone who's barely being paid enough to afford Spam?

Also, sometimes when the call volumes are too high, they dump the lines and everyone has to call back in. That's a management decision, not front-line employees.