Pro Wrestling Only

[2013-01-13-TNA-Genesis] Jeff Hardy vs Bobby Roode vs Austin Aries

Loss

• 2 weeks later...

At least the Tokyo Dome three-way wasn't so mercilessly long. These guys worked hard and I think they tried to do fresh spots and put together a good match, but that's what makes the three-way such a flawed concept - every attempt to do something different with it ends up looking silly. And I see Bobby Roode raided Stunning Steve Austin's closet.

• 3 weeks later...

Watched this a few weeks back so my memory is not the greatest about it. Actually had to give this a couple attempts as kept falling asleep during it. Not a bad match but one that is easily forgettable. I thought the two on one portion against Hardy went way too long. Jeff looking decent at least and seemed to be trying hard out there.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll give TNA this: at least they're willing to change up the regular triple threat formula and go with elimination rules. The WWE is way too stuck in the same triple threat tropes like stealing pins off another guy's finisher and one guy always laying outside the ring so it's 1-on-1. Elimination rule always make it seem more sporting and we don't have to hear the "champ can lose his belt without being pinned" story (although I swear Tazz explains how elimination rules work multiple times here for some reason).

Roode and Aries team up by design and work a good beating on Hardy for the first half of the match. Hardy gets a handful of hope spots - the spinning kick off the top rope with Aries on Roode's shoulders, and the duck outside where Roode eats an Aries dive into the fence. Crowd gets tired of this segment but it's solid imo (just a bit long) - until Hardy just will not die and kicks out of Aries finish. Roode has had enough and dumps Hardy and attacks Aries after a missed top rope move (which Roode caused). I'm guessing his logic is that Aries is slightly nicked up and that Hardy is easy pickings for himself later. Maybe that's #johnnylogic (well it is #bradlogic) that fits - although still doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

They let Roode and Aries go for a bit, which is good given how much damage Hardy got to take. The Roode elimination is very well done with Hardy coming in to help with a leverage pin. I thought that was very good.

From there Hardy is fired up and runs through his power moves to finish off Aries and retain. I didn't mind this at all - good overcoming the odds story and worked fine.

• GSR changed the title to [2013-01-13-TNA-Genesis] Jeff Hardy vs Bobby Roode vs Austin Aries
  • 6 months later...

I actually thought this was pretty good. I liked that they kept with the 2-on-1 dynamic for a while, when a lot of times it would be dropped pretty quickly. They made an agreement and they stuck to it, until Roode took a chance to get Aries out quickly. That nicely set up a segment with Aries and Roode while Hardy rested - again, a logical way to get to that, instead of the usual lazy three way structure. Liked the length, liked the pacing. Good have gone for a bit longer run at the end, but Hardy and Aries had wrestled enough that it wasn't really necessary. Nice match, worth seeing (at least in the context of watching some 2012-13 TNA).