Pro Wrestling Only

Southeastern/Continental Championship Wrestling

goc

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks goc. I downloaded em all and am really looking forward to watching all this great stuff.

I would probably recommend this to anyone who REALLY wants to watch this stuff. Who knows if my account might end up getting taken down due to copyright strikes over music or some asshole like the guy from 70s-tv giving me a copyright strike over a 1983 Memphis upload that I know damn well he doesn't own a copyright to.

Have had this happen to me. Going to be challenging Wade Williams (a guy not related to wrestling in any way shape or form, but the strike isn't wrestling related either) over it.

The funny thing was, I had started with the first one you put up from 86, but now that the 85 stuff is up it's time to go back.

I've got 1985 and 1987 done now. 1985 is missing almost the whole first half of the year so there are only two episodes of Southeastern on here but once it switches over to Continental the footage picks up pretty well and the rest of the year is pretty easy to follow along.

1985 playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB8FXHmaF-0oe64CuLCIJrKUuFlOwEjVe

1987 is really hard to find footage of and I did my best to put together the most complete playlist possible but it's still missing a TON. I went through and cut out whatever the weekly highlight on Pro Wrestling This Week was (for the weeks of PWTW that I actually have) but I have no idea what their criteria for the show was because they showed a lot of squash matches instead of showing a hot angle or promo.

1987 playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB8FXHmaF-0palHuCV4HA7whISnXaTZnq

I noticed you put up a ton of 89 goc, very much appreciated. Is there not a lot of 88 out there?

Yes there is 88 out there but I gotta do a lot of work with it and 89 was a lot easier to just quickly put up because fellow PWO poster WrestlingPower had already done the work of piecing that year together and putting it in order so all I had to do was simply convert the DVDs I got from him and put them on youtube.

To get all the rest of this stuff onto youtube I had to sort through all 86 of my Southeastern/Continental DVDs and put things in order, edit episodes together that were in clip form on various different DVDs or edit in better VQ versions of certain clips into full episodes. It was definitely not just an easy "stick a DVD in my computer and let HandBrake do all the work" type of job.

Every bit of Southeastern & Continental I have is now up on my youtube page youtube.com/c/ArmstrongAlley and can easily be watched in order using the playlists that I made. If you're looking for a starting point, start in 1985 right after the change over from Southeastern to Continental. Video quality sucks for the first 3 episodes but after that the VQ gets really good thru the rest of 85 and almost all of 86.

I started with the first episode before it became Continental and I was not expecting that Boomer Lynch (Oh hey, it's Tom Lintz) promo. Welcome to Alabama I guess, right? I shouldn't have been laughing at the suggestion that Cash somehow had an illegal head.

Humungous/Armstrong vs Fuller/Flair in a cage sounds like the coolest thing ever.

I started with the first episode before it became Continental and I was not expecting that Boomer Lynch (Oh hey, it's Tom Lintz) promo. Welcome to Alabama I guess, right? I shouldn't have been laughing at the suggestion that Cash somehow had an illegal head.

Humungous/Armstrong vs Fuller/Flair in a cage sounds like the coolest thing ever.

South African Boomer Lynch was really kind of a departure from their usual booking tropes. I mean they'd use evil foreign heels like the Sheepherders and Boris Zhukov but having someone be an outright racist is something I didn't see them do before or after that character. And just being "foreign" didn't automatically make you a bad guy there since Jacque Rougeau was always a babyface in the territory.

They were a surprisingly progressive promotion at other times like running a men vs. women tag match in 1981 and spending a lot of time on TV building it up as a legitimate contest and turning Adrian Street into a babyface.

Of course Fuller did also bring in the Nazi flag toting Storm Trooper character in USA Championship in 1988 so it could be a real mixed bag.

When I'm casually listening, Bob Armstrong sounds a lot like Steve Austin with just a slightly different accent. It throws me. I loved him explaining what a Small Package was in the least meaningful way possible. I'm still getting used to the studio set up, the way they'll do a lot of promos and things in the middle of big matches (not sure if that sticks). Two episodes in, I was more comfortable with the Southeastern format (though I'm not saying it was necessarily better, just more familiar). I can't get enough of Tommy Rich shouting "FIRED UP" for no reason.

The Flame shooting promo remains the best, most striking thing.

When I'm casually listening, Bob Armstrong sounds a lot like Steve Austin with just a slightly different accent. It throws me. I loved him explaining what a Small Package was in the least meaningful way possible. I'm still getting used to the studio set up, the way they'll do a lot of promos and things in the middle of big matches (not sure if that sticks). Two episodes in, I was more comfortable with the Southeastern format (though I'm not saying it was necessarily better, just more familiar). I can't get enough of Tommy Rich shouting "FIRED UP" for no reason.

The Flame shooting promo remains the best, most striking thing.

I think in the early Continental episodes they were struggling to figure out how to make the switch from a studio show to the arena. They were doing insanely long 8-9 minute squash matches I guess to try and make the people in the arena not feel like they were getting ripped off but it didn't make for great TV and it cut into how much time they would have for other stuff so you'd wind up with guys doing color commentary during the match to cut promos. That doesn't seem to last that long as I know by January of 1986 they'd kind of settled into their normal set up and cut back on the super long squash matches.

Tommy Rich grabbing the house mic to start a Fired Up chant during one of his matches is probably the greatest thing I've seen in the early Continental period.

The long squashes are something to get used to. I liked how the Bill Ash vs Walker match ended. Obviously, as the new Jr. champ, Ash had to win somewhat definitively, so he had to cut off the babyface comeback somehow. A rope reversal is a pretty normal way to do so, but I liked that he did a dropdown after that to set up his head drop finish. It was a little savvy, technical thing you don't usually see heels do in that part of the match that made him stand out as a guy who sort of deserved the belt.

Also, T.Buff is amazing.

Austin Idol calling the feud/battle royal between the babyfaces and the Tennessee Stud Stable "WAR GAMES, BABY" was interesting for 85.

The fans coming unglued for Johnny Rich's return is the absolute definition of how you can basically get anything over if you push it as important for weeks on end.

Basically putting over Tommy Rich over three guys is a hell of a way to get him all the more over too. I love the sort of Memphis way they keep the storytelling going. Rich wins a check, he then puts half of it up against Fuller.

The Laugh-in speed cuts between promos (ending with the Austin/Nightmares/Ash/Welch/Brown stuff) on the 8/31 show was really novel.

The Stud Stable promo about Fuller turning on Armstrong was great. They go on for five minutes about how much they love to watch the footage on their VCRs. "THAT IS EXCITING STUFF THERE!"

This has definitely been the best episode of Continental yet.

It's fun how much of a "World's Best Von Erichs" feel the Armstrongs have. Slater coming in as their friend feels just like how the Freebirds were introduced.

I really like the Nightmares finish where one's pinning the guy and the other goes off the top with the diving headbutt across the ring. The one pinning the guy then sells the impact of the blow by making it seem like he got knocked a foot up into the air.

k51Qlx.gif

• 2 weeks later...