Pro Wrestling Only

Southeastern/Continental Championship Wrestling

goc

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The established talent teaming with a jobber was a common practice of Welch run promotions. This way a mid-card face got on TV and got his offense in against a top heel team . Then the jobber took the fall. That way the baby face looked like a million bucks , while protecting the top heels at the same time.

The AWA would do this from time to

Time as well and it usually morphed into an angle of some sort for the dominant face.

A twist to it was sometimes a young not-quite-established star would team with a true jobber and get in a lot of offense, and wouldn't have to take a pin fall. Put a little bit of intrigue into the new guy matching up with a more established guy on the arena cards and,win or lose, it set the tone that that bout would be at least competitive.

You know, thinking about the whole "star teams with jobber thing" they did all the time and it might have just been as simple as one less jobber to pay. I know a lot of territories didn't pay their regular crew for TV but would pay the jobs guys.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For people who want to actually watch this stuff rather than just read about it, I've added everything I have from 1981 and 1984 onto youtube and put them into playlists. I have 23 (almost all of them complete) episodes from January-June for 1981 and 14 episodes from 1984, mostly from June, July, September & December along with a few videos of highlights and the awesome Bullet & The Stud videos that popculturestu put up a long time ago.

1981: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB8FXHmaF-0pHshMJFKShfGPhxQ27j_tl

1984: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB8FXHmaF-0o0MT9A0jVML5BSaD7AApfd

All episodes of USA Championship Wrestling from 1988 can now be found here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB8FXHmaF-0raVT8OAZCQ4fEeqzcfRZOe

I would encourage anyone who is a fan of Continental and/or Smoky Mountain Wrestling to watch this. Really good little crew of guys with Gordon Solie on commentary along with Ron Fuller. Ron Wright is the heel manager here with The Mongolian Stomper and The Dog (Larry Latham) as his guys. Buddy Landell is here and while he's a bit out of shape during this run he's on top of his game as a promo and a character. Very nice old school tag feud between the Rock N Roll RMPS (Mike Davis & Tommy Lane) and The Party Boys, Johnny and Davey Rich who are the most unlikely heart throb tag team you'll ever see in wrestling but the crowd totally went for it. You've also got my man The Bullet here along with NOT his son Scott Armstrong, Hector Guerrero, "Superstar" Bill Dundee (also the booker), Terry Gordy and Austin Idol making some sporadic appearances and other guys who pop up along the way. You also get one of the best jobbers ever JD Wolfe doing some really entertaining stuff here.

K5iBqLX.png

7Poxn8M.png

(I REALLY REALLY want that shirt The Bullet has there that says The Bullet above his picture and Bad To The Bone under it)

W73Cv5p.png

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It is a really great article and amazing to think of the influence Southeastern and more specifically the Armstrong/James have had on the industry.

Watched a great episode of Southeastern last night from early 1985. The show had an odd elimination 6 man tag match with Porkchop Cash/Les Freeman (can't find any info on him)/Mr Olympia vs Bill Ash/Jimmy Golden and Arn Anderson, its was more of a gauntlet match than anything. Also with the old studio Rom Fuller is as tall as the top rope and blocks a lot of the action jumping about...

My searching of him involved "Les Freeman wrestling" and "Les Freeman cage match". I always felt sometimes they just didn't have enough people to fill out there cards for TV and jobbers would just fill the gap in multi mans, it was a trait in Memphis also, where guys like Ron Sexton would end up in 6 mans with Lawler...

Yes! Everyone should read that article it's really good. I meant to post that in here when I read it a week or so ago but I guess I forgot.

Great article, but the last page is messed up for me for some reason. Anyone else have a problem seeing page 5?

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone that wants to watch the 1986 Continental episodes that I started this thread by reviewing can now watch them all on youtube. I have 24 full episodes and parts of 11 others in this playlist and most of it is a big quality upgrade on the pics and gifs that are in this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB8FXHmaF-0of2VDzgdRgXDDT26PmI01I

I'm also currently working on putting everything else I have from 1985 and 1987 on youtube and will post playlists for those in this thread when I'm finished.