Pro Wrestling Only

Intense undercard feuds

MFoy

I really think one of the biggest reason for the lack of emphasis on undercard feuds is the commentary team. When Sheamus and Christian are having a match on Raw, do the team actual tell the story of the build? Do they tell the story of the match? No, they spend the whole match bickering with one another until the go home sequence.

Fantastic point, plus all the plugging they are made to do.

Benoit/Sullivan was all well and good except for Sullivan being miles away from any damage to himself while kicking the crap out of Benoit. Benoit is taking all the stiff bumps while Sullivan will use any wrestler trick in the book to not hit his head on anything hard.

The commentary point is the biggest part, in my opinion. Think about how mid 90s Vince McMahon, or Paul Heyman, or Tony Schiavone would be driving home the story of the Sheamus/Christian stuff. Instead it's Michael Cole attempting to do 20 different jobs at the same time, an uninterested Lawler who likely has no idea that the story exists, and JBL tossing out jokes, appeasing Vince, and sometimes even making up backstory that the wrestlers don't know about and aren't trying to sell. I can't blame Cole, because he's just doing what the company wants their lead announcer to do at this point, but there is absolutely no reason to be playing hype man for anything other than the match in the ring. You can still constantly hype the main event between matches, but you wouldn't have to be so desperate to remind the crowd to stick around if you gave them a reason to want to watch the show as it's happening.