Pro Wrestling Only

Crowd Sourcing: Long Jerry Lawler interview

I'm getting a pretty significant block of time with the "King" next week. Any thoughts on how to make this the best interview it can be? I'd like to hit some of his best stories, but also delve into areas no one has gone.

A note: I'd like to stick to wrestling and artistic questions, not stuff about politics, etc.

I would like to know if he thought that they way Memphis was booked.....which was Jerry Jarrett would book for a few months then Lawler would book a few months so and so on.....was the best way to book a promotion because of their different styles and kept the bookers fresh.

Also I can never hear enough about the proposed Memphis split in 1983 with Lawler & Lance splitting off from Jarrett to start their own promotion just 5 years after Jarrett split from Nick Gulas.

Another point was during the era that Lawler was beating all the big-name stars in Memphis were there any guys that were supposed to come in or they wanted to come in to face him that didn't happen.

I'd be curious about the difficulties of wrestling in front of the same crowd every week. It means you can't take shortcuts that you might have been able to on, let's say the WWF roster in the 80s, where you'd work the same match 40 nights in a row.

Johnny bringing up Ole made me think of another question.

How did the whole JCP/CWA/Georgia merger come about in 1984 and what went into why it fell apart.

Plus what all was promised to Lawler about being the NWA champion in 1985 by Crockett.

Another point was during the era that Lawler was beating all the big-name stars in Memphis were there any guys that were supposed to come in or they wanted to come in to face him that didn't happen.

Kris, was there anyone in mind that you would've liked to see him wrestle during this run? Just trying to think of who he could've faced

What I'd REALLY love to know, if you can ask it in a careful way, is what the plans for Lawler in Nov, 93 - Wrestlemania in 94 would have been, especially where he would have been slotted at Wrestlemania X? My guess is a feud with Doink, but he might have been involved in Bret vs Owen too.

He was still wrestling Bret on the house shows RIGHT up to Survivor Series (some shows Shawn subbed for him, some he didn't). I'm pretty sure he would have known who he'd be married with on the house shows post Survivor Series considering how long they had people work with each other and how far ahead things were planned out. He was the #2 heel in the company at the time (pretty unquestionably, too, if you look at it).

I give you he might not remember.

Kris, was there anyone in mind that you would've liked to see him wrestle during this run? Just trying to think of who he could've faced

He never worked guys like Valentine, Piper, Slaughter, Orton, Buddy Rose, Masked Superstar, and others