Pro Wrestling Only

WWE PayBack - Live as it happens

goodhelmet

The problem I have with PPV matches involving Cesaro and Sheamus is that neither guy has a second gear week-to-week, so they don't really leave themselves anything to work up to when they have matches on big shows. Yes, it was a good match, but did it feel any more special than a match they'd have on Main Event?

Really great point. Hadn't thought of it myself but it is absolutely spot on. They're always operating at the same level with the same urgency.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I'm not sure what CS is on about with the 'no reason this match had to happen at all' argument. If nothing else is what a good little opening match that served to heat up the crowd. I don't see how Cesaro losing by 'fluke' after a competitive match hurts him either. The finish was also another nice subtle step to set up Sheamus's inevitable heel turn.

What I'm "on about" is this:

How does the match or result help Cesaro? How does it further his momentum? Hell, how does it help Sheamus?

The answer for all of the above is "it doesn't."

You've changed your argument. First you was saying Cesaro was 'booked like shit' and the match killed his momentum, now they're 'moving sideways'. They're different things aren't they?

The finish to that match did a good job in protecting both guys.

You've changed your argument. First you was saying Cesaro was 'booked like shit' and the match killed his momentum, now they're 'moving sideways'. They're different things aren't they?

The finish to that match did a good job in protecting both guys.

I've hardly changed my argument. Momentum entails moving upward. Sideways is not upward.

I hated the finish (I don't mean who pinned who, though I hated that too). I found it illogical that Cesaro would hit one of his signature moves and then lose right after. It did the Cesaro Swing no favors. It also doesn't help that the commentators did a shitty job explaining/selling it (nothing new there, but still).

It's a match that didn't need to happen and shouldn't have happened. Before Payback: Sheamus was on a roll, Cesaro was on a roll, so why not continue to let them both be on a roll? Of course, this is the same company that had Sheamus in the U.S. Title in a battle royal after making Dean Ambrose look like a goof who didn't defend his title for months.

So, yes, I am overthinking all of this. In fact, I'd wager to say I've put far more thought into it than the WWE creative team has.

In a month, Cesaro could very well win the vacant WWE World Heavyweight Title at Money in the Bank (I doubt it), and this entire debate will be moot.

And that bugs me too. There's no logic or cohesion with anything.

Another example I used before in this thread: Cena apologizing to his little kid fanbase for being slightly violent against Bray Wyatt only a few months ago, and then he has that crazy match at Payback (throwing steps, etc.), with no one bothering to explain his sudden change in philosophy. There are easy ways to connect the dots, but no one in the WWE can be bothered.

I just don't see how this match killed his momentum. His momentum was killed the Raw after Mania when they put him with Heyman. This match is the most important he's felt since then in my eyes.

Putting him with Heyman was another mistake, I agree. After Ryback and Axel, being a "Paul Heyman Guy" is no longer a guarantee of anything. It will work out better for Cesaro in the long run than it did with Rybaxel, but it was still a stupid move. And the worst part is, Cesaro is constantly overshadowed by someone who's not even around. I'm referring, of course, to Brock Lesnar.

I assume there's a long-term plan in place to turn Cesaro babyface after he finally gets sick of the whole Lesnar deal. Actually, why am I assuming that? This is WWE Creative we're talking about!