Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-01-08-WCW-Thunder] Interview: Larry Zbyszko

Loss

• 1 month later...

Larry Zbyszko's theme is just the Nitro song. Larry's speaking style isn't really suited for live interviews because he's so long-winded, even if he is eloquent. I think he should have either done a pre-tape or cut a promo on Nitro from the announce booth. I liked it, especially the part where he talked about his golf game, bench press and wrestling history, but it didn't seem to really work with the live audience.

• 1 year later...

Larry's not nearly as over here as he is with Nitro crowds, for whatever reason. Zbyszko's learned, long-winded promos aren't really a fit for what 1998 wrestling audiences are looking for, which is cheap pops and catchphrases. That's to the audience's detriment, not Larry's, but facts is facts. He gets in a number of good lines here--Scott Hall could be World Champion, but instead he's got a first-class seat on the ship of fools headed straight for Larryland.

• 1 month later...

Even eighteen years past the fact, Zbyszko seeming has to mention Shea Stadium as if it still means something to the average 1998 fan. Larry can bench 405lbs? I highly doubt that. I don't think I've ever seen a good Zbyszko singles match and he shoot thinks he's a legend just because the audience does their Pavlovian response of, "Larry, Larry" every Nitro.

Rating: 891,980 reasons to never watch this again.

• GSR changed the title to [1998-01-08-WCW-Thunder] Interview: Larry Zbyszko