Pro Wrestling Only
Sign in to follow this  
Charles (Loss)

[1998-01-08-WCW-Thunder] Interview: Larry Zbyszko

Larry is wearing one of the ugliest golf shirts imaginable. His promo here is to hype up the upcoming Souled Out match vs. Hall. Nothing groundbreaking but a good set up of their past history together and Larry stating that he knows a lot about Hall.

Looks like someone rode over his shirt with a bicycle and left a tire mark. Larry gets in his standard retiring Bruno comment. Zbyszko mentions some of his accomplishments and how he has done a lot more than Scott Hall.

Larry Zbyszko's theme is just the Nitro song. Larry's speaking style isn't really suited for live interviews because he's so long-winded, even if he is eloquent. I think he should have either done a pre-tape or cut a promo on Nitro from the announce booth. I liked it, especially the part where he talked about his golf game, bench press and wrestling history, but it didn't seem to really work with the live audience.

Larry's not nearly as over here as he is with Nitro crowds, for whatever reason. Zbyszko's learned, long-winded promos aren't really a fit for what 1998 wrestling audiences are looking for, which is cheap pops and catchphrases. That's to the audience's detriment, not Larry's, but facts is facts. He gets in a number of good lines here--Scott Hall could be World Champion, but instead he's got a first-class seat on the ship of fools headed straight for Larryland.

Even eighteen years past the fact, Zbyszko seeming has to mention Shea Stadium as if it still means something to the average 1998 fan. Larry can bench 405lbs? I highly doubt that. I don't think I've ever seen a good Zbyszko singles match and he shoot thinks he's a legend just because the audience does their Pavlovian response of, "Larry, Larry" every Nitro.

Rating: 891,980 reasons to never watch this again.