Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-03-07-ECW-Revere, MA] 2 Cold Scorpio vs Shane Douglas

Loss

• 1 month later...

These two guys always have really good chemistry together and they produced another good match here. Scorpio has a good ability and feeding into Douglas' strengths and allowing him to look vulnerable but strong. Douglas is a guy that idolizes Flair and his matches vs. Scorpio are the most Flair type matches he seems to have. Scorpio working on offense was the best part of this match. When Douglas does take over he relies on chinlocks that they do work a decent amount but still felt uninspiring from the rest of the match. Scorpio mounts a comeback and hits a nice moonsault. Francine trips him up and Douglas takes a wild dive to the floor that nearly takes out Francine. They battle on the top and Douglas is able to hit a top rope belly to belly to win the match. LIttle long in the tooth but a good characterization of what Douglas could do as a strength at times. (***1/4)

• 3 weeks later...

I liked this match way better than expected. I loved the suplex counter Douglas did from the apron, where he did a release gourdbuster into the ring. I also thought this had a nice, old school feel to it, with Scorpio as a standard babyface and Douglas as the heel champ whose valet runs interference and who directs traffic nicely in the ring. Really strong pair of handheld matches!

• 1 year later...

Interesting traveling-NWA-champion style match for ECW but I didn't much care for this, and the crowd's constant chants toward Francine pissed me off mightily and served as a really bad distraction. If they can't be engaged, why should I be? Badly set-up finish as well. From Douglas' promo it's clear that they're building toward Douglas vs. Snow for the next PPV.

• 1 month later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1998-03-07-ECW-Revere, MA] 2 Cold Scorpio vs Shane Douglas