Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-03-29-WWF-Wrestlemania XIV] New Age Outlaws vs Cactus Jack & Chainsaw Charlie (Dumpster)

Loss

• 2 months later...

This match didnt have near the heat I thought it was. I also again thought the NAO didn't really hold up their end of the bargain in being able to keep a ferocious, violent pace. Some of the spots were cool like Billy and Cactus falling through the ladder and the ending was nice without the bait and switch that happens the last night but I was expecting something chaotic in the same vein as the Nasties vs. Cactus feud of 1994 and this didn't hit that mark at all. (**1/2)

I thought this was fun, but it didn't get as violent as I hoped either. The fall from the ladder into the dumpster was impressive, but it was never clear why they were on the ladder anyway. I understand why they didn't go too far on a show where they were getting so much new exposure. But I don't understand doing a Dusty Finish in a match like this at all.

• 1 year later...

That makes for two Dusty Finishes on one show, after Shamrock/Rock earlier, which is a tad excessive. This was pretty fun, with a few inventive spots. In addition to the falling ladder, Billy Gunn baseball-sliding his own partner out of the way so Jack collided with the Dumpster was pretty boss, as was the spike power bomb on Funk into the Dumpster. Memorable finish as Funk forklifts both Outlaws into a backstage Dumpster and traps the lid shut with the pallet. Owen-HHH notwithstanding, this seemed to be designed to be a feelgood, crowd-pleasing show, so I do get why they had the Hardcore Legends go over here since they pretty much had to. At the same time, the titles belong more with the NAO. I guess they just booked themselves into a corner, though I think they could have gotten by in having this simply be "non-sanctioned" and not have the belts at stake at all.

• 1 month later...

Funk has a crazy bruise on his hip. Hated Jack just waiting on apron for Gunn so he could get his "watch me flip into the dumpster" bump. Enjoyed the big bumps into the dumpster, but you lose me when someone drives a forklift during a match, even if it is Funk.

• GSR changed the title to [1998-03-29-WWF-Wrestlemania XIV] New Age Outlaws vs Cactus Jack & Chainsaw Charlie (Dumpster)
  • 1 year later...