Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-04-25-MPPW-TV] Kid Wikkid promo

Loss

• 2 months later...

Kid Wikkid has a memorable gimmick - a Southern clubbing douchebag who likes to swear and shoot on people. It's this hodgepodge of weirdness that somehow works. Think Buff Bagwell with more of an edge. This was simultaneously really strange and really great.

The camera is still rolling when the vignette ends and a DJ asks if anyone really bought that Kid Wikkid crap. This ends with Kid Wikkid beating up a DJ with a Daft Punk record, making this the single best wrestling segment of all time.

This was one of those hidden gems that show up from time to time. The best thing is that I have no idea how serious it was meant to be? It's usually so obvious if something is meant to be a joke, but I'm just not sure here.

A former jobber announces that he has a new gimmick and is moving up in the world. Don't worry Kid. You're still a jobber, just a higher calibre of jabroni. Having the unmitigated gall to compare himself to Steve Austin and Goldberg was quite something. And mixing the straight shooting with the ridiculous gimmick was a bizarre combination. Just when you think the weirdness is going to end the camera keeps rolling and he smacks the DJ with a Daft Punk record. I'm just off to Youtube to watch the Da Funk video, regain some sense of normality.

• 2 weeks later...

Up there with some of the Dawna segments in the WTF dept of the 90's. Kid Wikkid tells the world what he is all about with the beats blasting in the background.

After the promo, we learn does he really believe this bullshit. The answer is still unclear but it feels like Wikkid is so diluted that he does believe this nonsense.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Jesus, this just kept going. Former undercarder and New Kid Tony Williams is now Kyd Wykkid or something-or-other, and we can tell how serious he is because he crams every shoot term he can think of into this promo. Shane Douglas would find this guy long-winded. There aren't many promos that have false finishes in them, but we have one here.

• 1 month later...

Went too long. To "insider" for me and especially for Memphis. Unless you are Jerry Lawler, don't talk about real stuff in Memphis. Don't know what Williams is mad about as he was in the tag NKOTB with Brian Christopher with a small push, until Brian went solo, so I guess he has a point. The epitome of a 1998 doucehbag with the dress, hairstyle, accessories, etc. Kid Wikkid, yeah.

• GSR changed the title to [1998-04-25-MPPW-TV] Kid Wikkid promo