Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-06-08-WCW-Nitro] NWO Wolfpac, Hulk Hogan and Dennis Rodman

Loss

• 2 months later...

Mike Tenay is thrilled to talk to NWO fans outside because WCW no longer cares about details. Fans in NWO black and white t-shirts love the Wolfpac because fans don't care about details either.

NWO are being treated like total WCW faction babyfaces now, and I can't tell you how much I hate this. Sting has the red face paint now. Hennig and Rude are still back there bringing the vibe down. Luger and Sting standing behind Nash just seems so wrong. Now they are recruiting DDP. Oh, that's just great! Nash talks about how DDP talked him into staying in wrestling when he was ready to quit, yet that didn't stop him from beating him up regularly for the past two years. Savage doesn't want DDP in the group, so at least there's that I can give them credit for.

Nash tells DDP he made the right decision not to join the NWO two years ago in retrospect, but now, how can he turn down this opportunity? It's like they tried to rationalize some of this stuff that didn't make sense, but didn't go all the way with it.

Finally, Nash is out to address Hogan, but Hogan cuts off his mic. Then we see Hogan with an apparently inebriated Eric Bischoff, Dennis Rodman and Bret Hart at the production booth. Then they randomly set off pyro in the ring and make the arena go dark. This sucks, and feels like a bunch of druggies playing with equipment they have no idea how to use. But I guess Hogan at least got to emasculate Nash.

• 3 weeks later...

Tenay polls fans who they think is next for the WOlfpac and DDP is a popular choice. Is WCW just a thing of the past?

The howl fires up and the crowd is hopping. Sting has the red and black paint and there is just a lot wrong and annoying with this going back. I agree that Savage voting no was one of the better touches of sense we have seen in a while. I don't know why Nash thinks DDP made the right decision. Nash calls the Wolfpac the dream team.

HOgan sounds awful on the mic. Bret looks ridiculous as the sidekick here and this is so dumb as they cut the lights out on the Wolfpac. Fuck WCW right now.

• 3 months later...

I guess, what's bugging me here is - why does the Wolfpac still need to be the nWo? Why not make it a splinter group and say, screw it, we're not the nWo, we're something else? That pretty minor step would make this all much less illogical.

Regardless, it feels like we're about to drop off a cliff with WCW, and I'm not sure about where we're going with the WWF either. This might get a lot less fun, fast.

• 1 year later...

Ooh boy, the fans want DDP in the Wolfpack! WC-what now? Do I have to keep repeating how fucking STUPID this is for WCW to be pissing on its own brand and history like this? I HATE talking about "brands," but I don't have a choice if I want to talk about this shit at all!

The NWO Hollywood music kicks up and is ignored and is replaced by the NWO wolf howl. Dig that WCW quality control. Larry Zbyszko still being ambivalent about the Wolfpack is about the only consistent and logical thing about this mess of an angle. Sting not only has red facepaint, he's now Shiny Happy Sting again. Nash sports a hockey jersey and a beret and is just too cool for school, and pauses after his opening spiel to wait for chants and cheers that...don't really come. He blithers for awhile trying to recruit DDP--what the incentive is for DDP, no one can say, other than the Wolfpack is kewl and WCW sux. Finally Nash's mic goes out and we get Hogan, Bret, Bischoff, and Rodman playing with the equipment (Larry Z with mock surprise: "Wow, Rodman can push a button!"). Nothing and no one about this segment is nearly as edgy as everyone (except possibly Bret) obviously seems to think it is. Hogan is losing his voice and loses the plot halfway through his promo. This is less of a wrestling segment and more of a political slapfight being played out in public. At least Bret and Shawn were mostly able to hype matches in-between the insider potshots.

• 2 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1998-06-08-WCW-Nitro] NWO Wolfpac, Hulk Hogan and Dennis Rodman