Pro Wrestling Only

[1998-06-08-WWF-Raw] Steve Austin and Vince McMahon

Loss

• 2 months later...

Al Snow gets arrested for showing up at ringside with Lawler. They cut backstage quickly to show Undertaker surrounded by cops. Austin comes out in his normal attire plus a black tie. Vince is immediately upset. Funny. Ross and Lawler talk constantly over Kevin Kelly's intro of George Martin. He points out that Vince donated less than originally promised, wrote them a bounced check and hasn't visited like he promised. He then says his favorite wrestler is Steve Austin. I'm dying! Darnell Autry makes the second presentation, but points out that Vince never gave him a check and again, that his favorite wrestler is Steve Austin.

"I must say that your attempt at humor is only exceeded by my generosity." God, I love Vince.

Vince promises to put these awards next to all the other awards he has received in his lifetime and that they will one day go in a physical Hall of Fame. Meanwhile, Austin pickpockets Vince and finds $1200 cash in his pocket which he gives to both of them to split, then names Austin the Jackass of the Year. Then the Undertaker's music starts, but it's just a ploy to have Mankind and Kane attack Austin from behind and throw him in a casket. Vince is THRILLED. This was a great segment as usual with these guys.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Very funny! Austin just wearing a black tie around his usual vest and jorts leads to a great exchange about if Vince is color blind. The two speakers throw Vince under the bus and it is pretty funny. They both say Stone Cold is their favorite wrestler. Then not to be outdone Vince gets the line of the night your attempts at humor are only exceeded by my generosity. Kane and Mankind attack Austin in a great way to end RAW.

• 5 weeks later...

George Martin: "I have been given the dubious distinction of recognizing you..." HA! George is actually pretty damn good here. The constant cuts to the police surrounding the Undertaker work, and give this segment a bit of tension instead of just being a comedy bit--take note, WCW. This could have been an egofuck like half the segments on your show, but it isn't. There's some truly brilliant writing here--I don't know if we have to credit Russo or not, but it's hilarious and self-deprecating and gets the McMahon character over just a little bit more. And it doesn't descend into pseudo-shoot stuff either. In the end Austin is jumped by Mankind and Kane and this feels like the first Raw in awhile where Vince truly gets one over on Stone Cold. Remarkably, Vince hasn't lost any heat over being made to look like a fool every week. I get that not everyone is as good as Vince and can overcome that kind of booking, but it's food for thought in comparison to what we see with the Authority today and the NWO of this time.

• 2 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1998-06-08-WWF-Raw] Steve Austin and Vince McMahon