Pro Wrestling Only

2005 MOTYCs

goodhelmet

Samoa Joe Vs. Christopher Daniels Vs. AJ Styles; TNA X-Division Title; Unbreakable

There's been a lot in ROH too but I'll leave that up for people who watch ROH more frequently than I do. I've liked the majority of Samoa Joe's Pure Title defenses though. CM Punk Vs. Jimmy Rave was good too. Alex Shelley Vs. Austin Aries. James Gibson's had a few.

That TNA three way is the anti-thesis of what wrestling is supposed to be. No emotional connection, no desire for characters to win, just a bunch of spots (some good, some bad).

Having just watched a top 3 match in 2005 for me this morning, here is my list of MOTYC's. (and yes, no Angle/Michaels I or II and I would doubt III will make it either)

4/2/05 Bryan Danielson vs. Spanky (ROH)

5/7/05 Samoa Joe vs. Jay Lethal (ROH)

5/14/05 Perro Aguayo Jr. vs. Mistico (CMLL)

5/14/05 Bryan Danielson vs. Austin Aries (ROH)

6/11/05 Samoa Joe vs. Necro Butcher (IWA-MS)

6/23/05 Eddy Guerrero vs. Rey Misterio Jr. (WWE)

7/9/05 CM Punk vs. Roderick Strong (ROH)

7/23/05 AJ Styles vs. Jimmy Rave (ROH)

8/13/05 Low Ki/Homicide vs. Joe/Lethal (ROH)

9/18/05 Suwa vs. KENTA (NOAH)

There are a few more candidates I would add to my list like Punk/Rave 5/14, Mistico/Ultimo Guerrero 2/26, and a few others.

That TNA three way is the anti-thesis of what wrestling is supposed to be.  No emotional connection, no desire for characters to win, just a bunch of spots (some good, some bad).

Most people liked it, thus it's a contender. Not everything is to be repeatedly viewed with a fine comb. Hell, I believe Meltzer even gave it 5-star.

It's definitely a contender. It might not win, but it's a contender.

Guest TheShawshankRudotion

Fedor Emelianenko vs. Antonio Rodrigo Noguiera - Shockwave 2004.

Jens Pulver vs. Takanori Gomi - Shockwave 2004.

Mark Hunt vs. Wanderlei Silva - Shockwave 2004.

David Terrell vs. Evan Tanner - UFC 51 - Super Saturday

Forrest Griffin vs. Stephan Bonnar - UF Finale 1

Joe Doerkson vs. Patrick Cote - UFC 52: Couture/Liddell II

Georges St. Pierre vs. Jason Miller - UFC 52

Matt Hughes vs. Frank Trigg - UFC 52

Rich Franklin vs. Evan Tanner - UFC 53 - Heavy Hitters

Shogun Rua vs. Minotoro Noguiera - PRIDE Critical Countdown 2005

Fedor Emelianenko vs. Mirko Cro Cop - PRIDE Final Conflict 2005

Hideo Toroko vs. Alexandre Franca Noguiera - K-1 HEROS 2

Caol Uno vs. Joaquim Hansen - K-1 HEROS 1

I think it's kinda hard to determine the #1 spot. Certainly, Hansen/Uno is in the top 3, and the case made for #1 is very, very strong. Technically, its one of the best fights I've ever seen. Constant, fluid exchanges on the ground and then the big finish - tremendous. But, for me, it didn't have the emotional appeal and "story" aspect of Fedor/Cro Cop, which very-well might be my MOTY. It also helps that Fedor is one of my favourite fighters, and though I like both Hansen/Uno, I didn't really favour one or the other in that fight. Understandibly, if you were not a Fedor or Cro Cop fan and didn't know the history behind the fight, you'd pick Hansen/Uno over it, but dammit, Fedor threw a highkick at Cro Cop! That's too awesome.

That TNA three way is the anti-thesis of what wrestling is supposed to be.  No emotional connection, no desire for characters to win, just a bunch of spots (some good, some bad).

Most people liked it, thus it's a contender. Not everything is to be repeatedly viewed with a fine comb. Hell, I believe Meltzer even gave it 5-star.

It's definitely a contender. It might not win, but it's a contender.

This conflict right here is kind of why I want to do this project. I want to do it in a similar vein to the DVDVR sets but on a much smaller scale and have matches that are highly debatable included. Meltz did give it ***** so it will probably be included. It may be just as fun to pick it apart as it is to watch the greats. Same for Michaels-Angle and any other hyped match.

The problem with Meltz's star ratings for PPVs is you can always tell which match was his favorite since there's always one that jumps out and makes you say "that match couldn't have been THAT good". Like he gave the Matt vs Edge cage match **** 1/2 or something and you know that rating's a bit inflated.

Yeah, he gave it ****1/4 but that is why people make the nominations. If Hardy-Edge isn't listed in the nominees then it probably has no real shot of being #1.

On the other hand, alot of people are pimping Kobashi-Sasaki, a match I enjoyed but would be hard-pressed to vote for as a MOTY. If it got enough attention, I would include it on the set.

Fuck Pro Wrestling, just go with MMA. I have to add 4 or 5 more matches just from tonights BUSHIDO show. God fucking damn, I have never seen anything like it. 2005 is the year of MMA.

Guest Mike Campbell

Kenta Kobashi vs Minoru Suzuki (NOAH 1/8/05)

Kenta Kobashi/Go Shioski vs. Jun Akiyama/Genichiro Tenryu (NOAH 4/25/05)

Jun Akiyama/Makato Hashi vs. Naomichi Marufuji/Minoru Suzuki (NOAH 7/18/05 - Dome show)