Pro Wrestling Only

Great "hot tag" guys

JerryvonKramer

I always liked Dusty Rhodes as a hot tag guy, but more so because im a mark for the bionic elbow, how the heels cower as soon as he walks through the ropes, and the crowd digging all of it, too. Think his Clash #2 match with Sting against Arn and Tully as an example. Kerry and Kevin Von Erich were great "hot tag" guys as well because they were both very intense and ready to get after them Freebirds.

It's Robert Gibson.

This name came to mind first as well, but then, the more I thought about it, I think Ricky Morton was just that good of a FIP that he could've tagged in Kevin "The Prisoner" Wacholz and the roof would've blown off the arena. To me (and I'm not going as far as to say the latter is better than the former), but Gibson was as good as "hot tag" as Kane was for Daniel Bryan when he was the FIP (or X-Pac for that matter in the mid-90s). Kane and Gibson both got huge pops when they would come in and save the day, but, to me, that has more to do with the FIP than what they were doing (which is not the same as the way Ultimate Warrior or Daniel Bryan would come in, explode, and essentially steal the match with their spirited performance).

I think his run in SMW before Ricky Morton shows up really highlights that Robert by himself isn't very good. I've seen someone praise his heel work in the SMW vs. USWA feud but I can't remember who it was.

Really, he wasnt a spotlight in that feud, so it was hard to tell from that time. He was well behind the pecking order of the SMW guys while in tag matches teaming with guys like Landell and Smothers.

I think it is Tommy Gilbert. Tommy was the regular tag of Eddie Marlin in the 1970's . Marlin would take a tremendous ass kicking in almost every big match . Gilbert would get the hot tag and destroyed anything that moved. Marlin very rarely got in any offense , bot he was one hell of a salesman .

Jerry Lawler created the Rock N" Express to get Morton and Gibson over when they were stuck in the opening match. I always though that Lawler and Jarrett used the Gilbert / Marlin team as the in ring model when they created the the Express. Same story just 10 - 15 years later.Marlin and Morton both could really sell. The big difference is that Gilbert in ring work was much stronger that Robert Gibson 's work .Nothing against Gibson but Tommy Gilbert was a great wrestler in his prime. I have to give Tommy Gilbert the nod ,

I never really thought much of Tommy Gilbert until I saw this clip where he comes off as very intimidating and downright scary while talking about Buddy Wayne messing with his son Eddie. I'll bet he hit a hell of a hot tag in the eventual tag match with Eddie where Eddie takes a beating from Buddy & Ken Wayne:

I think it is Tommy Gilbert. Tommy was the regular tag of Eddie Marlin in the 1970's . Marlin would take a tremendous ass kicking in almost every big match . Gilbert would get the hot tag and destroyed anything that moved. Marlin very rarely got in any offense , bot he was one hell of a salesman .

Jerry Lawler created the Rock N" Express to get Morton and Gibson over when they were stuck in the opening match. I always though that Lawler and Jarrett used the Gilbert / Marlin team as the in ring model when they created the the Express. Same story just 10 - 15 years later.Marlin and Morton both could really sell. The big difference is that Gilbert in ring work was much stronger that Robert Gibson 's work .Nothing against Gibson but Tommy Gilbert was a great wrestler in his prime. I have to give Tommy Gilbert the nod ,

Interesting take. I never got to see Gilbert and Marlin, but you could compare to Tommy's team with Eddie Gilbert vs Buddy and Ken Wayne

I never really thought much of Tommy Gilbert until I saw this clip where he comes off as very intimidating and downright scary while talking about Buddy Wayne messing with his son Eddie. I'll bet he hit a hell of a hot tag in the eventual tag match with Eddie where Eddie takes a beating from Buddy & Ken Wayne:

Tommy could work as a heel or face . This clip is past his prime. In the 1970's he worked with Marlin and held the NWA Southern Tag Titles . He also worked as a single , holding the Southern Jr. Heavyweight belt. Tommy had some great matches with Lawler, The Greene Brothers , Dandy Jack Donovan , and many others, Most people remember him as Eddie's father , but he was great talent . As you can tell , I am fan.

• 2 weeks later...