Pro Wrestling Only

Great "hot tag" guys

JerryvonKramer

Are you talking about the guy making the hot tag or the guy coming in and cleaning house?

As a side note, I honestly don't care for threads like this too much because I don't understand if we're all supposed to be taking guesses at the "right" answer, since only one person can be the best, right? Are we trying to build a consensus?

Is there any way we could reframe it as "Great hot tag wrestlers" where we make the case for lots of people?

Threads are often framed like this and I know for a fact it discourages some people from participating because they are afraid they will get the answer wrong. That's why I would rather not frame it as best. Does it matter so much which one person is best?

1. I'm talking about the guy taking the tag and clearing house.

2. I think Loss makes a good point and this was just laziness on my part. I'd much prefer a conversation around "who are the greatest 'hot tag' wrestlers? or "Who'd be in the conversation for 'best hot tag'?" than striving for some definitive answer.

I partly made this thread because I wasn't actually sure who'd be in that conversation and wanted to draw up a shortlist of 8-10 people. So, Loss, feel free to change the thread title :)

Recently, I'd say Daniel Bryan was about as good a "hot tag" guy as anyone from the glory days of southern tags. He was so good at it, I think it was one of the most important ingrediants into his ascension to the top of the card.

Whether its at Dustin Rhodes in the early 90s or Goldust today, he definitely knows what makes a tag "hot."

I'd also submit Shane Douglas into the conversation based on what I've seen of his tag work with Steamboat in WCW.

Finally, I'd say Jim Neidhart too.

I definitely haven't seen enough to say who the best is/was, but I'm curious who else people would think make a list of top 20.

As much as I don't care for the guy overall, Satoshi Kojima seems like a really good hot tag. His moveset is good for it, his personality and fire fit well.

Kobashi was practically made for taking hot tags, as little as I care for how he does things a lot of the time.

I really liked Rey taking hot tags even back in his WCW days.

Based on the limited AWA viewings I've done, Jim Brunzell seemed like a contender here.

I guess since I mentioned Kobashi, I may as well say Misawa. When he came in with the elbows swinging off of his partner getting beat down, he was pretty unstoppable.

KENTA seems like he fits the bill.

As much as DDP played the FIP, he could bring the fired up babyface comeback pretty good when he wanted to.

This is something I never saw, but I always thought Waltman would have made a great hot tag if he was ever not the FIP or a heel. He had the right offense for it and could do "fired up" pretty well.

Misawa was a phenomenal hot tag -- the way he'd come in as the ace and set everything right for Kobashi or Akiyama.

Hashimoto was great too. You could just sense the coming ass beating as he waited on the apron. And he always delivered the goods.

People have rightly mentioned Dustin, but I always thought his pop was a fun hot tag as well, with the rapid-fire elbows and the weird, pseudo-effeminate gestures.

My memory of AWA set is that Brunzell was a tremendous hot tag, but I could be imagining that.

Worth noting that Daniel Bryan's hot tag schtick was basically just Mark Briscoe's hot tag schtick with a WWE filter.

Now we're taking away points for not being truly original? Just about everybody fails when evaluating according to that standard.

I don't think that's really what he's getting at. It's not a being original thing, as there are only so many options. But Bryan was lifting a pretty unique sequence directly from Briscoe. He did it well, and I don't think it's a point against Bryan, it's more about giving Briscoe credit too.