Pro Wrestling Only

Questions Concerning Starrcade 1983

VIP Slick

I just finished watching Starrcade 1983 on the WWE Network, as I had not seen it in its entirety in several years. I have a couple of questions that I hope you fine fellow classic wrestling fans can help me with.

1. Both before and during the main event (on at least 5-7 different occasions in total), Gordon Solie refers to Ric Flair as as a 2 time World Champion. However, at that point I thought he only officially held the belt once, from 1981 until losing it in June 1983 to Race. According to Wikipedia (not the best source, I know), there were several unrecognized title changes in that time period (to Midnight Rider, Jack Veneno, Carlos Colon, and Victor Jovica). My question is, which one of those "phantom" title changes is Solie referencing when calling Flair a 2 time champion? And it could not just be a slip of the tongue, as he did it on numerous occasions, and referred to Flair as a 3 time champ when he won the main event.

2. What is the backstory on Gene Kiniski being the special referee for the main event? Did he have on screen issues with either Race or Flair in the buildup to the match? To me, Kiniski totally ruined what could have been an excellent match with his constant involvement, both verbally and physically. Was his interference part of the booking, or did he simply go into business for himself?

Thanks in advance for your help!

1. He's referencing the Colon title change. What I always had heard with the Veneno match is that Flair had Veneno beat him on the fly because he was legit scared that the crowd would kill him if he won. So Flair let him pin him, crowd goes home happy and Flair leaves with the belt and no one was the wiser. That might be bullshit, you never know with those stories. I think video does exist of that title change.

2. I'm guessing it was a "this match is so huge we need a former NWA World Champion to referee it". The NWA loved using former champions for things like that.

Bruce Mitchell did a review of the entire show a few weeks ago. He said the plan was for the Kiniski involvement to allow Harley to claim interference to save face in his Kansas territory and transition into a feud with Kiniski. Harley was still a face in Kansas.

For some reason the feud never occurred.

Solie was definitely referencing the Midnight Rider title change

Yeah, it had to be the Midnight Rider change because 1) Solie would be more familiar with that one since it happened in Florida, and 2) the match between Flair and Colon to declare the champion of the universe happened about three to four weeks after Starrcade.

I just finished watching Starrcade 1983 on the WWE Network, as I had not seen it in its entirety in several years. I have a couple of questions that I hope you fine fellow classic wrestling fans can help me with.

1. Both before and during the main event (on at least 5-7 different occasions in total), Gordon Solie refers to Ric Flair as as a 2 time World Champion. However, at that point I thought he only officially held the belt once, from 1981 until losing it in June 1983 to Race. According to Wikipedia (not the best source, I know), there were several unrecognized title changes in that time period (to Midnight Rider, Jack Veneno, Carlos Colon, and Victor Jovica). My question is, which one of those "phantom" title changes is Solie referencing when calling Flair a 2 time champion? And it could not just be a slip of the tongue, as he did it on numerous occasions, and referred to Flair as a 3 time champ when he won the main event.

2. What is the backstory on Gene Kiniski being the special referee for the main event? Did he have on screen issues with either Race or Flair in the buildup to the match? To me, Kiniski totally ruined what could have been an excellent match with his constant involvement, both verbally and physically. Was his interference part of the booking, or did he simply go into business for himself?

Thanks in advance for your help!

It is true, Ric Flair stated in his book that the Jack Veneno title swap happend, and that he did it because the security used to watch the arena was going to prevent any riot that would happen, when Veneno lost. Flair dropped the belt, and the NWA decided to sweep it under the rug, not referencing it on tv, and records. This happened periodically, race dropped to Baba in Japan, were NWA never talked about in the states.

• 2 weeks later...