Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling Culture Episode 56

Great show. I popped over the Piper conversation just because my mind carried this thru to the Hogan era. Not that I would have imagined Piper being capable of a 7 year reign, but how fascinating of a conversation would it be if Piper had won the belt as a face, turned heel, and led into the Hogan era and Hogan's big triumph being over him for the belt. Granted then you may have lost your hook for the first Mania. But fascinating to think about. I guess you could also have the conversation of using Piper as the replacement for Iron Sheik & having him keep the belt until Mania where Hogan wins it, though that discounts your hook of Mr. T, Cyndi Lauper, etc.

Just listened to the show and it was great. In regards to the backlash with Backland, if you just talk to older people that were casual fans during that time and I think you get a gist that Backland was a star but wasn't like Bruno, Morales or Superstar Graham. I've heard more about those guys from the 70s than Backland but Backland got respect.

As soon as I heard about Andre, I thought about how he would drop the belt cause he was built as unbeatable. Atlas or Rocky Johnson would have been interesting as the top guy but might have been a transitional champ to split up the 6 year run.

I hope more shows like this are coming in the future.