Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-01-11-WCW-Nitro] Rey Misterio Jr and Lex Luger

Loss

• 2 months later...

Luger gets in Rey's face about wearing the LWO shirt and demands he take it off. Rey won't oblige so Luger lays in a beating. Rey ends up making a comeback and holy cow this could have been an incredible feud. Luger sells his stuff as great as he possibly can in spite of the size difference and the crowd is HOT for it. Luger is putting the boots to Konnan and then racks him when Konnan shows up. Konnan wants to know what Lex is doing and cue Nash leading the rest of the new Wolfpac to the ring. Nash says LET ME SPEAK ON THIS and Luger attacks Konnan from behind. The rest of the NWO joins in the attack and he's out of the group. Hall goes after him with the taser. Luger is so much better as a heel even though I'm not sure pushing him in 1999 makes WCW seem all that cool. A loud "We Want Sting" chant breaks out. The pieces are here to build something special involving an interesting mix of guys, but they did nothing with it. Imagine a Sting and Rey Misterio Jr. tag team upon Sting's return. Or even finally making Konnan a breakout singles babyface. I like this segment but I don't like that it's a standalone thing.

• 1 month later...

I thought this was super and Luger was great at being a bully at first. Tony was also great explaining itself how unfair this was given the size difference. Konnan being out of the group made sense to me and care about him which is rare and they were able to play up their past history. This was a good start to a feud that could have been really good at elevating Rey/Konnan as Luger has one more run.

• 2 years later...

Okay, *this* is a better example of Old Guard vs. New, even if it still makes no sense that suddenly Rey is totally committed to the LWO. This gets a lot of heat, both Rey's teased comeback and the attack on Konnan. Pedantic but still annoying point: YOU CAN'T HOLD A GUY WHO'S BEING TASED. The human body is a conductor--Luger should be getting shocked, too. Good segment in a vacuum but it ages badly because of course none of this leads anywhere.

• GSR changed the title to [1999-01-11-WCW-Nitro] Rey Misterio Jr and Lex Luger