Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-02-12-ECW-Crossing the Line Again] Super Crazy vs Yoshihiro Taijiri

Loss

• 2 months later...

I was impressed by how smart this was. They started off with all the bombs, then settled into more of a mat-based match once they had the people on their side. They picked things up again with the daredevil spots after that, but some of the good and more basic wrestling got a lot more heat because of what preceded it. I can appreciate that. My first instinct was to say this went too short, but I think they made such great use of the time that I don't feel shortchanged at all.

• 1 month later...

I loved this match. I think the time was perfect, they threw out everything, didn't take any time to get to the big offense and didn't draw it out or go too long. This felt like a really unique match, wasn't a normal ECW match, didn't look much like a juniors match, didn't look like a lot of workrate sprints do. They both have unique offense and they used it in interesting ways to create a match that you really feel like you couldn't see anywhere else between anyone else. Incredibly fun stuff.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Tajiri vs Super Crazy - ECW Hardcore TV 2/27/99

Definitely upgrade from Guilty As Charged, but same basic idea of a showcase match. Here they know each better so everything is a lot smoother. I thought the highspots were more breath-taking and there more sense of momentum. Liked Crazy getting this party started with a dropkick right at the opening bell. Just a really good junior-style bomb throwing sprint. Lots of good head kicks from Tajiri. I thought Super Crazy looked fantastic in this. That twisting reverse springboard Asai Moonsault into the crowd was awesome! It was worked a little fast. I think Crazy was more blowing off selling than Tajiri lots of repeat spots but I thought they were done in a better order. The finishing sequence was awesome with three springboard dropkicks then springboard frogsplash to give Super Crazy a victory in the rivalry. Very breezy entertaining match. ***1/4

• 1 month later...

This was a spot exhibition...but that's not a criticism, because damn, the spots were something else indeed. Lots of pretty athleticism but all done with a degree of hate and trying to inflict injury on the opponent. People have accused this series of being the same match over and over again, but it already seems to be progressing much better than the Malenko/Guerrero series did just going by Styles' commentary, as this seems to be the first time they go into the crowd or kick the match off with crazy dives. It's not a long match, but these two brutalize each other so effectively, with credible near-falls occurring in the first 5 minutes or so, that you get the feeling that neither man will last long. It's Hagler vs. Hearns, on a lesser level, in that regard.

• GSR changed the title to [1999-02-12-ECW-Crossing the Line Again] Super Crazy vs Yoshihiro Taijiri