Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-02-13-MPPW-TV] Brandon Baxter, Jim Cornette and Michael Hayes

Loss

• 2 months later...

Brandon Baxter has been partying on Beale Street with Michael Hayes and feels great! Jim Cornette is out to interrupt him and cuts a scorched Earth promo. Cornette is upset about people getting into pro wrestling that have no business being in pro wrestling but making it. This is probably a therapeutic promo for Cornette, and I pretty much agree with everything he says. He closes by taking a cheapshot at Baxter's dead father and Baxter slugs him, only for heels to come out and do a big attack. Michael Hayes runs them off and hits Tony Falk with a classic left hand punch then does an awesome classic Michael Hayes promo. I love this run, and love seeing Hayes as himself for the first time in a decade or more.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

This might be my favorite MPPW segment to date. Baxter is fun, Cornette cuts his best promo in years (probably because it's 99% shoot while also hyping a specific program), the line about Baxter's father was Holy Shit-worthy (and marvelously foreshadowed in Baxter's promo the previous week so the fans could be hip to it), and the heel attack was great. BOY TONY is back after a 12-year absence, and by this point Falk looks like Pat Patterson in that get-up. Michael Hayes makes the save and burns through all the catchphrases he didn't get to in his promo the previous week. I want to see this match!

• GSR changed the title to [1999-02-13-MPPW-TV] Brandon Baxter, Jim Cornette and Michael Hayes