Pro Wrestling Only

Jim Ross = Gone As An Announcer

Mad Dog

I'm convinced that if the Savage-Steph thing never happened, Vince must believe it did. He's hired back so many people with more dubious mental states than Savage, the only thing I could see Vince not looking past is if someone boinked his daughter.

As far as the announcers go, WWE is reaping what they sowed by insisting on pretty boy announcers who don't follow wrestling. Despite their best announcers all being ex wrestlers, anyone who cares about the biz is considered too markish to hire. I find it highly ironic and hilarous that if you remember when the WWF had solid and knowledgable announcers, Vince won't hire you.

I always thought Kevin Nash would make a great announcer, plus it would give WWE a reason to fuck with TNA. And it would keep Nash from trying to keep wrestling. Everyone wins.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WWE probably thinks Hayes' voice is too gravelly for TV, despite having a guy with a pretty severe speech impediment announcing their flagship show.

Interestingly enough, watching the Mid-South/UWF set reminds you what a good team JR and Hayes were back then.

JR: "How can you say you didn't see that? He pulled something out of his tights!"

Hayes: "What are you, a cop? Do you need to see my driver's license?"

Hayes to Dark Journey: "Honey, I don't wanna marry you, 'cause I got a wife at home. I just wanna know if you'll take a quick walk down Badstreet."

Meltzer:

Mike Goldberg has decided to turn down the WWE offer and stay with UFC. At least that was the situation as of yesterday as he's been wrestling and fighting with his decision all week. It's really a mess of a situation now, as WWE has nobody at least for now in the spot, but it's so ridiculously public that they don't want Jim Ross as lead announcer any longer, and most likely he will still be calling the show until they can come up with another bad replacement.

Guest TheShawshankRudotion

If this sticks, wouldn't it be great (for me) if this was all part of Sleazy D's masterplan in fucking over the WWE?

*A week ago*

Goldberg: Hey Dana, the WWE just offered me a contract.

White: Really? Wow.

Goldberg: You should see the number's they're throwin at me...

White: You gonna take it?

Goldberg: Of course not.

White: Say you are.

Goldberg: What?

White: Tell them that you're taking the offer, but don't sign anything.

Goldberg: Dana?

White: Think of it. Once you tell them you're in, their guys will be talking right away, our guys will be talking right away, the news will leak and spread like wildfire. As soon as you know it, the WWE will be makin moves getting Jim Ross out and everyone will know the situation.

Goldberg: But what about Fridays PPV?

White: Who fucking cares? It's a nothing show. Completely expendible. Meanwhile, the WWE will either be forced to ship their best announcer off and put in someone much worse, or will have to keep Ross in the position he is in knowing he's on his way out. Either way, RAW will definitely hurt because of it. If RAW shows signs of weakness, you know SPIKE will want us on as many Monday nights as possible trying to steal away fans. More TV time for us means more exposure, more money.

Goldberg: You've always wanted a weekly show.

White: Damn fuckin right.

Goldberg: ... You're evil.

White: I know, now get the fuck out of here, I have some underage girls to look after.

*Goldberg mumbles something about Dana White being Sleazy on his way out*

*Dana White smiles*

Did anyone else think that entire show reeked of not just bad wrestling and bad storytelling, but really creepy undertones? Do they think about how things sound? John Cena wants two wrestlers to perform oral sex on him. Vince doesn't mind it when his daughter kisses him because he loves that shade of lipstick. Strange, strange company that is getting increasingly hard to watch, to a point where I just don't feel like I should be supporting the promotion anymore period.

There's also a lot of typical veteran BS going on with Michaels trying his hardest to upstage John Cena anytime he's around him and HHH saying that he's been out "with some time off", instead of the original stated reason that he was suffering major injuries from Hell in a Cell.

I'll continue to TiVo it and keep whatever might be good, but I have a feeling that over the long haul, that's going to be less and less.

John Cena wants two wrestlers to perform oral sex on him. Vince doesn't mind it when his daughter kisses him because he loves that shade of lipstick.

That's pretty low on the list. They've been way creepier with Vince/Steph before. The incestual undertones to that Trish thing in 2001 was the worst. Also lets not forgot they turned a rapist into a face character you were supposed to feel sympathy for last year. And there's also the Katie Vick thing. I think the only deviant behavior they haven't hit in the last 4 years is beastiality and pedophile stuff.

What I want to know is how can Linda spend her life around Vince, Shane, and Steph and still be an emotionless droning robot? It's fairly amazing to see the contrast between those three (who even smarks have to admit are entertaining when they aren't taking up the entire program) and her.

And how hard is it to hit a convincing low blow? That was one of the most cringeworthy moments I've seen in years. That's the kind of stuff that ends up on TV when you're trying to sell your buddies on wrestling.

Going from last night's Raw to the Impact replay was like night and day. If Spike was smart, they should run a TNA special the first time RAW gets pre-empted. I bet you it'd draw a big number.

Did anyone else think that entire show reeked of not just bad wrestling and bad storytelling, but really creepy undertones? Do they think about how things sound? John Cena wants two wrestlers to perform oral sex on him. Vince doesn't mind it when his daughter kisses him because he loves that shade of lipstick. Strange, strange company that is getting increasingly hard to watch, to a point where I just don't feel like I should be supporting the promotion anymore period.

It's been that way for years.

I'm afraid that once WWE television dies, we may find out that the McMahon family was into some really disturbing things. Like Vince fucking Stephanie, which wouldn't shock me at all.

There's also a lot of typical veteran BS going on with Michaels trying his hardest to upstage John Cena anytime he's around him and HHH saying that he's been out "with some time off", instead of the original stated reason that he was suffering major injuries from Hell in a Cell.

I'll continue to TiVo it and keep whatever might be good, but I have a feeling that over the long haul, that's going to be less and less.

Linda turning was the last straw for me.

I am not going to watch RAW any more. I tried, hard, since Wrestlemania, to enjoy the show. Hell, I was more than glad to watch RAW while HHH was on the shelf since I *finally* got my wish (for him to be gone).

But last night's show was too much of a downer. Linda turning, for me, was like Austin joining up with Vince in '01. It made no sense, since no one saw it coming, and the shock or surprise just fell totally flat with me.

JR, truly, deserved a better send-off than he got last night and this is coming from a major hater of his.

The backstage shit with HHH was asinine too. Fuck John Cena's lame ass character. What a fuckin poser asshole bitch pie. He should have jumped HHH in the back since he's the Jedi of thuganomic or whatever ridiculous white bread nonsense his moniker is. I was just in *shock* that no one, I mean, like no one, not even Arn Anderson, tried to jump HHH after he started walking in the back. HBK getting in HHH's face and acting like a fuckin whiny bitch, with no punches thrown, just helped pussify everyone in the back. Big Show had no business getting in HHH's face since he's beaten the shit out of Flair just as bad as Hunter did last week. That made no just sense.

Fuck this stupid booked company. I'm through trying.

It's been that way for years.

I'm afraid that once WWE television dies, we may find out that the McMahon family was into some really disturbing things. Like Vince fucking Stephanie, which wouldn't shock me at all.

Nah, that's Randy Savage's side job.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat as you guys. Fortunately, I now have a set schedule for Monday viewing instead of RAW with The Amazing Race reruns on GSN at 9, followed by UFC Unleashed at 10 and TUF II at 11 on Spike.

And having watched a few episodes of RAW and Impact and comparing them, it is amazing how much of RAW's time is wasted recapping stuff that happened last week. It's like they think people immediately forget what happened after the show is done.

Though they should be careful not to push them too far along yet, Spike should definitely make sure TNA establishes a good base audience, because more people will probably be looking for an alternative very soon.

Guest CanadianChick

It's a little nitpick, but the thing with the Triple H walking backstage segment that annoyed me the most was the conversation with Shawn. He went too far Shawn? Um, didn't he try to break your back or something? Hasn't he beaten you up worse than that? Huzzuh.

I'm a little disappointed in WWE for not giving JR a send off. I'm actually now expecting him to come back some time, because they can't possibly take him off TV forever like that, right?

And having watched a few episodes of RAW and Impact and comparing them, it is amazing how much of RAW's time is wasted recapping stuff that happened last week. It's like they think people immediately forget what happened after the show is done.

Well *they* forget what happens after the show ends, so I guess they assume everyone else does too.

They should replace Jerry Lawler with Michael Hayes. I've been saying that for ages and it merely falls on deaf ears, but Hayes, if he's even a fraction as good as a color guy as he has been in the past, would own the show.

Micheal Hayes = Ratings.

Man, I loved those days of him and Kelly on the announce table on Heat.

Personally, I would like to see Vince come on commentary for a while until they possibly rehire J.R for a little while (Up until Wrestlemania, where he can be inducted into the Hall of Fame and given a proper send off) with King perhaps playing the "What you did to J.R was harsh" and Coach playing the ass licker.

At the same time I wouldnt mind having Shane on the announce booth, whether it be a Heel or a Face. But he likes his backstage role too much :(

But WWE really need a face on Play by Play which gives me the dreaded feeling of Todd being called up. Oh God.

Notes from this week's Observer on Ross and Goldberg:

--- McMahon was in secret negotiations with Mike Goldberg and the plan was for him to start on the 10/3 RAW. The plan was for him to no-show the live UFC show and then scramble for a replacement. If Goldberg would have accepted, Ross would have been taken off immediately and Goldberg would have hosted the first USA show.

--- Meltz points out that the company is more interested in sending a message to its competitors than respecting the job of the lead announcer.

---there has been a movement for years, dating back to Russo, to get Ross removed from TV. Even in WCW, Ross's accent and look were questioned. When Michael Cole was handed the job, the fans hated Cole and the experiment was deemed a failure. Still, no one does not turn into RAW because of Ross's look or voice because he announced for the company during the most successful and popular period in business history.

--- Coachman has been groomed for the position even though he has shown no aptitude for it, and every short-term Coach experiment has been a failure.

Goldberg is far more porfessional behind the mic than Coach or Grisham but has no product knowledge or exerience in wrestling or is even a fan.

--- Meltz indicates that a lack of product knowledge is not a drawback when the company mindset is they only want good looking young people on the screen.

---Before he turned the job down, the reason Goldberg wasn't at the 10/3 show is because Goldberg refused to no-show the UFC live show and had already committed to the PPV.