Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-04-11-WCW-Spring Stampede] Juventud Guerrera vs Blitzkrieg

Loss

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I liked this a lot. Even the short opening matwork segment was pretty good. The highspots were great and the stuff in between the highspots were good too and overall this was a well worked and well put together match. The big spot where Juvi hits Blitzkreig with the dropkick on the floor was not only visually impressive but cleverly set up. The drop rope Juvi Driver looks insane.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Juventud Guerrera vs Blitzkreig - Spring Stampede 1999

Blitzkreig has such a mystique about him. For such a short stint, he made such an inedible mark on me and many others. In the early 2000s, you can barely ever go through a mailbag of some sort with some asking who Blitzkrieg was and where did he go. For me personally, I thought he had one of the coolest costumes and with Juvy and Rey Rey having lost their masks, I gravitated towards him and then poof he was gone. Sometimes, you want to leave the memories alone, but I was very happy with this match. I came away remembering how fucking great Juvy was and I had totally forgotten that. With a bonafide rookie, he was glue that held the match together and was the brains behind the genius highspots. Minor quibbles up front, Blitzkreig clearly was a rookie and you can tell from how he moved in the ring, threw a chop or a kick. Also his mask was clearly bothering him early, but for someone with less than 100 matches under his belt in the opener of a nationally televised PPV, he has balls of steel busting out a springboard, top rope Asai Moonsault. WOW! Still at the end of this was Juvy's match and he just put on an offensive clinic whether it was the violent chops and Brainbuster or breath-taking aerial warfare in the form of an awesome suicide dive or that anti-aircraft dropkick to the flying Blitzkreig. I remember seeing the Skytwister Press and it blew my mind as a child. It still does to this day. I am shocked that the missed Skytwister was not the finish after a Juvy Driver. Blitzkreig gets a nearfall off a weird top rope Frankensteiner to show he is in the league of Juvy, Rey and Kidman. He goes to the well once too often and this time Juvy nails him with a top rope Juvy Driver! HOLY SHIT! What a finish! Awesome aerial spotfest that put Blitzkreig over as a daredevil, but reminded everyone why Juventud was a badass at this point. ***3/4

One of my favorite PPV openers of all time. This works circles around Scotty 2 Hotty vs. malenko from Backlash for example. Blizkreig hit everything well and with poise for someone that was so fresh and was having mask issues. It is really sad hearing Tony by the week become disinterested in the product as he buries Thunder at the start of this match. The crowd gradually ohhhh and ahhhhing at the escalation of spots coinciding with the announcers taking the match more serious and deferring to Tenay for technical analysis was a treat to watch. A great spotfest to jump start a PPV with a disgusting ending. ****

• 2 years later...

Blitzkrieg was semi-untrained and boy does he look it at times. That this match is as enjoyable as it is comes down to Juvie, who delivers what is possibly his finest performance, at least in a WCW ring, holding this together. It's his version of Pillman vs. Badd, though obviously not as long, but with a much much greener opponent. Blitzkrieg blows a few things and looks lost at points, but his big spots look crunchy as hell and he's game for whatever Juventud wants to try, including the ridiculous finish. A fine choice for a PPV opener, well-executed.

• Loss changed the title to [1999-04-11-WCW-Spring Stampede] Juventud Guerrera vs Blitzkrieg