Pro Wrestling Only

Dino Bravo

Mr. Lacelle

I guess I should have probably put Dino as my biggest wrestling guilty pleasure but I felt like he deserved his own thread. I loved his team with Martel, especially against the Road Warriors, probably my favourite Roadies tag match ever. I always enjoyed dark haired Dino but even the blonde bloated version could still put in some fun perfomances like in the Rumble 89 6 man tag.

I actually think he's pretty underrated. His work for the first few years he was in WWF was pretty bad but by the late 80s he became a pretty fun heel who took some nice bumps. It doesn't sound like the highest praise but this Brian Blair match is pretty much as good as you could expect a throwaway 80s WWF mid card singles match to be

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xaqllj_brian-blair-vs-dino-bravo_sport

All were factors but most noticable to me was how the power version in the WWF seemed to have his offense dumbed down accordingly, which was probably a combination of the extra bulk and the determination from above on how he should wrestle (read: You're a power heel, punch, kick, stomp, that's about it).

The old Bravo could have played a scientific-styled heel (akin to Hennig or Martel, for example) adequately. He was never as smooth as either of those two examples as a face...which I think was part of the reason for the shift to power heel.

I disagree in the sense they were able to perform many of the same moves that they did in their face personas, and have good back-and-forth matches with other wrestlers, like Bret Hart.

Bravo could have wrestled more of his Montreal style if allowed, but with the additional bulk and a "World's Strongest Man" gimmick, I don't think it would have translated very well.

What's wrong with his blond heel work? Sure, his offense was pretty basic (odd complaint for a board that regularly shits on movez stuff) but the match I linked has him doing all kinds of fun expressions to keep things entertaining while getting in just enough offense to keep looking like a threat, similar to what you get in old Destroyer matches.

• 1 year later...