Pro Wrestling Only

Akira Hokuto

Grimmas

The Meiko match deserves serious five-star match consideration, I marked like a little kid while watching it the first time. I even have it higher than the Kandori match or Queendom (right now it's in my top 10 for the GME Project).

She's a top 10 contender, definitely. I'll watch her 80s stuff (thanks Kadaveri!) and more of her 00s work, but it's true that at her peak years she seems like the best wrestler of all time. If those other periods of her career deliver in a big way, she 100% will be in my top 10.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/30/2021 at 9:19 AM, Tetsujin said:

The Meiko match deserves serious five-star match consideration, I marked like a little kid while watching it the first time. I even have it higher than the Kandori match or Queendom (right now it's in my top 10 for the GME Project).

She's a top 10 contender, definitely. I'll watch her 80s stuff (thanks Kadaveri!) and more of her 00s work, but it's true that at her peak years she seems like the best wrestler of all time. If those other periods of her career deliver in a big way, she 100% will be in my top 10.

I think people have is that they see 93-94 and she is the greatest wrestler ever, then they go back to 89-92 or post 94, and she's more like a top 10 wrestler of all time and are all disappointed. From the moment she debuts she is really damn good and just keeps getting better and better. By 1991 I thought she was the best wrestler in the world, and that's long before the peak people talk about. She's special. 

If anything is accomplished in the GWE26, I sure hope it's killing the narrative that Hokuto was great in 93 and that's all they talk about with her.

I watched the Chigusa match yesterday, and damn. It was amazing, and Hokuto was perfect in her role, with all that vicious offence and attitude towards Chiggy. I also loved her in the Bull match in 1991 when I watched it a few weeks ago. I don't need her to be at 93-95 levels before and after those peak years, just great enough to see your career as consistent as possible. And Hokuto is delivering, to me at least. She clearly was a very good wrestler before her peak, from what I've seen. I'll watch those 80s tags and more 00s stuff.

5 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

I watched the Chigusa match yesterday, and damn. It was amazing, and Hokuto was perfect in her role, with all that vicious offence and attitude towards Chiggy. I also loved her in the Bull match in 1991 when I watched it a few weeks ago. I don't need her to be at 93-95 levels before and after those peak years, just great enough to see your career as consistent as possible. And Hokuto is delivering, to me at least. She clearly was a very good wrestler before her peak, from what I've seen. I'll watch those 80s tags and more 00s stuff.

The 1/4/91 Bull match? I have that at 9.75 stars, big fan!

The early Toyota tags and singles series of matches are well worth watching as it shows her at character best in ring.

On 4/30/2021 at 3:19 PM, Tetsujin said:

There was another Meiko/Hokuto singles in 1997, unfortunately only 5 minutes aired. If there's a full version on an obscure commercial release or something I'd kill to get it, because what was shown looked amazing.

7 minutes ago, Jetlag said:

There was another Meiko/Hokuto singles in 1997, unfortunately only 5 minutes aired. If there's a full version on an obscure commercial release or something I'd kill to get it, because what was shown looked amazing.

Quebrada.net has this: 

GAEA Battle Station 8/1/97 Storm Signal #3 taped 6/29/97 Nagaoka Welfare Hall & Dead Heat #2 taped 7/6/97 Club Citta Kawasaki
-1hr 25min. Q=Ex

6/29/97

KAORU vs. Toshie Uematsu 16:45

Sonoko Kato vs. Makie Numao 14:19

Sonoko Kato vs. Rina Ishii 10:41

Chikayo Nagashima & Sugar Sato vs. Hiromi Kato & Sakura Hirota 16:39

Chigusa Nagayo vs. Maiko Matsumoto 9:51

Akira Hokuto vs. Meiko Satomura 20:19

7/6/97

Chigusa Nagayo vs. Makie Numao 19:59

Akira Hokuto & Maiko Matsumoto vs. Hiromi Kato & Sakura Hirota 12:11

KAORU vs. Rina Ishii 15:39

Chikayo Nagashima & Sugar Sato vs. Meiko Satomura & Sonoko Kato 16:08

Not sure if it's the full version or not.

• 11 months later...

She's is a definite top 10 contender for me. Her best is the best. She's such a compelling wrestler to watch during that period. Also she's a GREAT smack-talker. Was watching her vs Ozaki from November 93 the other day, and Hokuto getting on the mic mid-match telling Oz her moves didn't hurt, it really added to the match.

• 1 year later...