Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-08-07-MPPW-TV] Jim Cornette and Randy Hales

Loss

• 1 month later...

First, Cornette is pissed off and has words for Brandon Baxter. He can't believe no one has been able to collect the $5,000 bounty he put on Baxter's head. But since no one has been able to do it, he's going to do it himself.

Second, he suggested joining forces with Randy Hales and offered Cornette 50% of Power Pro if he'd come help him run the company. Dave Brown is skeptical that this is true. Corny follows this with a long list of insults directed toward Hales and is tired of Hales ignoring him. We learn that Cornette is the guy Hales was talking to on the air before where he said "no deal". So Cornette wants to confront Hales on the air, Hales finally comes out and they end up in a shoving match. Hales cites Cornette not being successful as a WCW booker, conning someone into funding Smoky Mountain and then bombing and not staying professional when interacting with WWF execs. So Hales doesn't want his help - he'd rather sink or swim on his own. Cornette says his anger was because people wouldn't listen to him in the past even though he's a genius, just like Hales isn't listening to him. Cornette is red-faced and screaming before finally calming down and saying if he doesn't get his promised 50%, he'll take 100% of the company and sign up every single piece of talent in the company that means anything. Hales says before Cornette gets any part of this company, Hales will be a dead man.

Great stuff, and I love the self parody Cornette is doing as part of this.

• 4 weeks later...

First off, I'm on the side of anyone who beats the hell out of Brandon Baxter. WHY IN THE HELL IS HE A WRESTLER HERE? Plus, he's one of the more obnoxious little twerps to ever be as miscast as a babyface ever (Kid Wikkid here in PPW has the same problem, but they had the sense to turn him and it really didn't help. He just should not speak). $5000 to beat the hell out of Brandon Baxter? Looks like easy money. Baxter's bald head looks like a light bulb.

Cornette's line about "Im a genius and they wouldn't listen to me" is gold. I can relate. In fact, that might just be my epitaph.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I love when Randy gets so angry, he speaks in redneck tongues and doesn't make a lick of sense. I think I heard him mention Jim Herd which I'm sure went right over the heads of the little kids watching in the studio. Cornette was outstanding. I'm guessing OVW and Power Pro were working together?

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

So many great lines from Cornette that they can't be recited--this is a must-see Cornette promo and that's no small praise. Clearly he was itching to finally cut loose on somebody--anybody. Hales vs. Cornette in a verbal duel is something that could be a total disaster, but Hales holds his own with some personal shots of his own at Cornette's professional and business ventures in recent years. Hales declares that Cornette will get 50% or 100% of PPW over his dead body. Cornette, ominously: "That's very agreeable to me." Incredibly, this low-rent USWA knockoff promotion has turned into maybe the most compelling wrestling company in the U.S. if not all of North America. Just an unbelievable hot streak of arresting television.

• GSR changed the title to [1999-08-07-MPPW-TV] Jim Cornette and Randy Hales