Pro Wrestling Only

How TNA can improve

sek69

As TNA is starting to gain a foothold on Spike, it's already becoming a divisive issue on the 'net if it's ever going to become a competitor to WWE. To that length I was thinking about some things that they can do to improve their product.

1. Get more TV time. This seems to be happening, with Spike giving them a primetime special and possibly a permanent 2 hour timeslot. In this era of wrestling, one hour of TV is simply not enough to establish characters and tell stories that sell PPVs.

2. Let a homegrown talent run with the belt. This also seems to be happening, with Monty Brown being groomed for a title run in the near future. Jeff Jarrett must not be given long runs with the belt, even if someone has to use duct tape and rope to prevent it.

3. Introduce a secondary singles title. Assuming they get a 2 hour time slot, they need to have a secondary singles title for guys not in the world title picture to chase after. The X title is the domain of the high flyers, they need a IC or US title that the guys they want to groom for future world title runs can go after. The NWA has a North American title that could fit this role nicely, it could even be worked into an angle with Team Canada.

4. Real entrance music. This is my big knock on TNA right now. The music guys come out to now sounds like bad cellphone ring tones. Entrance music helps set the stage for a wrestler, it's a key element of their personality if done right. The next time they get the itch to give another heap of cash to someone like Nash who isn't going to be a long term part of the company, they should instead put that cash into a decent music producer who can come up with memorable themse like Jim Johnston does (did? I don't know if he left or not) for WWF/E

5. Book more storylines surrounding the X-Division.

If they can get those guys working matches with some buildup and not just spotfest thrown out there to be cute, they'll really have something special. Give AJ Styles a knee injury in his next match with Daniels and have him sell it over the next 6-8 months while still wrestling. It gets Daniels over as a badass and gets Styles over as a never-say-die fighter, not just a guy with cool moves.

To be honest, Abyss has one of the only entrance songs that I recognize when it starts.

I think TNA should incorporate a ranking system. Instead of just throwing four guys together, tell us that the match is happening for a reason. Maybe Sonjay Dutt wants to move up in the rankings so he can get an X-Division title shot? It was odd seeing Roderick Strong, Austin Aries, Alex Shelley & Sonjay Dutt all in a 4-way match out of the blue.

I agree with all of your points...but I must say that Abyss's music and Sabin's music is awesome.

They're the exception that proves the rule, especially Sabin. His music has the "Hail Sabin" at the start that immediately identifies who's about to come out, just like how every WWF/E theme has a tag at the beginning to let the crowd know who's coming out.

I think one way TNA can distinguish themselves is to not give every single wrestler a music entrance. That way, the ones who do have it will stand out more. JJ Dillon once made a great point about how deep down, he thinks cool music for a heel confuses the fans because they want to cheer when they hear the awesome intro, but the company is trying to get the wrestler over as a heel. I think that's something of which TNA might try to be conscious, if only because they might stand a chance of getting some mileage out of the whole deal. I'm not sure if I agree or disagree with Dave Meltzer on the situation, which is that every wrestler's theme should be a currently popular song instead of something made in-house, so that way when fans hear the song on the radio, they immediately think of the wrestler. The only problem with that is that once the song falls from the charts, the wrestler has to get a new theme.

I think using popular music for some wrestlers is ok but you'd be passing on a large source of revenue by not using in house stuff and releasing it on CD. The music in TNA has actually improved a lot since the early days and I think the main eventers have passable music right now. I think the WWF has more work to do music wise personally.

I would like to see TNA go back to contenders lists like in the very early weeks. I thought it was great when they did an elimination match and the spot you were eliminated in determined where you fell on the charts. Styles for awhile at least just went down his list of contenders. I've always wanted this angle to come back since Funk had to go through several of the top 10 chart to get a title shot in 89.

I would also like to see more international talent on the shows. Getting a working deal with New Japan was a big start now they need to go and get a deal with CMLL. They also need to bring L.A. Par-k in as a regular.