Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-08-23-WCW-Nitro] KISS concert

Loss

Not sure when Peter Criss's book came out, but that book made me a fan of the band. I have heard of KISS before and I have heard KISS's biggest hits, but didn't really follow them. KISS appearing on Nitro was a big WHY moment for me. WCW was trying its hardest to be WWE in 99 and 00 and everyone in charge was taking Vince McMahons' 'sports entertainment' stuff seriously and I honestly believe there was an honest attempt of doing Rock N Wrestling part II for the 2000's. Master P, KISS, the Nitro DJs, James Brown, etc.

KISS was a big waste of time and was one of the signs that WCW had lost COMPLETE focus on its product.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Someone on VH1's old show Rock of Ages described Kiss as "They took professional wrestling, and put it on stage"--so in some ways this is a better fit than Master P. Now, I hate Kiss, both then and now. But as a high school senior in '99 I thought the Smashing Pumpkins were the peak of musical and poetic excellence...and I wouldn't have wanted to see them on Nitro or Raw, either. And putting it in the main event slot seems particularly galling.

• GSR changed the title to [1999-08-23-WCW-Nitro] KISS concert
  • 1 year later...

I’m a huge KISS fan, definitely one of the best live acts I’ve ever seen. It is impossible not to have a huge smile on your face while Paul Stanley does his schtick.

The Network cut this from Nitro? The episode was already 2 hrs 7 minutes, did they go over? Does WWE not want to pay KISS royalties. The KISS Demon wrestler is very Gene Simmons.