Pro Wrestling Only

Advantages of watching 'live' verses Classic footage

BigBadMick

I'm thinking this is part of a bigger change to binge watching with tv. For me, it's easier to let a few months of TNA/ROH build up and then watch quickly - they're under the radar of popular discussion in podcasts. WWE has a higher profile and requires closer attention.

Having said that, there's loads of evidence on the 'what would make you stop watching wwe' thread that a lot of people here are like me - very selective about their WWE watching.

Not sure how wrestling programming on a smaller scale hasn't adapted itself to being more capable of being binge-watched. Maybe a different topic but it almost feels as if older programming is as capable if not more to be watched that way...which is weird.

I think it's because there was a much more certain direction and sense of continuity.

I think people underestimate the element of surprise.

I think the element of surprise was more important when there wasn't so much tv to keep up with. Also, the possibility of a surprise debut, like during the Monday night wars, is virtually nil.

For me Ultimate Warrior returning at the end of Wrestlemania 8 for me excelled any suprise in the Attitude era as it was someone no one had seen in ages.

Then some fan had a sign in the crowd saying bring back the warrior. Did WWF spoil the suprise or something to the crowd?

My only problem with people watching a lot of the "live" product is that projects like the DVDVR sets or the GWE poll aren't as good as they might have been if people had devoted more time to them.

The GWE project is still a work in progress... a marathon, not a sprint.

The interest in the DVDVR project is directly related to the original board going down and the lack of involvement in the latter sets with guys like Phil Schneider and Dean Rasmussen dropping out or not being as involved. Having said that, Lucha was a hot seller, it just isn't getting the discussion that earlier sets received. I am going to release Portland, the WWF redo and the NWA sets this year (hopefully) and I think all of them will generate plenty of interest.

Wow, yeah, I am interested in all three.

On this topic, I like watching old stuff because I can keep watching to see where it goes. The same philosophy for holding off on a TV series and binging it. I don't have to wait a week or month to see what happens next in a story that I am engrossed in. I can just push play and keep enjoying the ride. That's the major advantage to me.

I did stay semi-involved in "the big conversation" when I watched the current WWE regularly, but the negativity in most cirlces just really hurt my enjoyment of it. I keep up with what's going on (I watched the Rumble to have a frame or reference for listening to fucking podcasts), subscribe to the Observer, etc. but I'm less engaged than I have been in about four years. The negativity thing really ties in with why I enjoy the old stuff, too. I can watch something that is cheesy/wacky, etc. and just enjoy it, not be bogged down in "ugh why they are they pushing this guy stupid bookers!"

Will had a great quote about Punk/Cena on the last super show podcast about how not knowing what will come next is the greatest feeling in pro wrestling. I am not totally on board but it can't be tossed aside.

Agree, and agree. Sometimes its best when you do know what will happen -- see last year's Mania as an example -- but still have to wait for and watch it. It works similarly if you're watching something from years ago you've never seen and managed to avoid reading about. That's been the case for me watching a lot of the Japan 2000s matches. Familiar with some and what follows, but blind to others. Going in live or absent spoilers can provide a big edge. It won't make an inferior match better, but you can get more invested in it when you don't know what's coming.

If you had to binge watch a year of WWE, choosing from 2005 til now..

What would it be?

I know what id choose.

2006 just for the DX/McMahons promos and stuff cos they were well funny when they wrote I Love c*cks on screen when Vince did his promo and DX dressed as the McMahons and changing the Mic. Then we got Hogan destroying Orton at Summerslam and the buildup and the year ends with Flair owning the Spirit Squad. Im pretty sure Kane & Taker reformed on SD didnt they to destroy MVP & Kennedy I think.

Rob Van Dam also deserves a mention for that awesome MITB match and when he beat Cena for the belt even though would have been better to see no Edge interference cos RVD was just that damn good. The Vengeance match is very underrated when he beat Edge.

Yeah. 2013 is the surefire runaway winner for me. That summer stretch was specifically hot, with Bryan being built up towards the title. They had him run through every other participant from the MITB "All Stars" Match (minus RVD of course) on TV in the weeks leading up to that PPV, and it produced some REALLY strong stuff - matches with Sheamus and Christian particularly. Plus there was that brief babyface program with Orton, ending on a high note with their Street Fight on RAW one week.

There for awhile, they seemed to REALLY dial in on the Authority influence and maximize their possibilities with it. The stories of Bryan being screwed, HBK being manipulated, Cody's firing, Dustin's return, and even the early phase of Big Show's suspension were weaved together fairly masterfully - especially compared to the way it all ran off the rails later.

Even if you were bored with Rock/Cena and Ryback/Cena, the early portion of the year saw PLENTY of tremendous trios matches from the Shield, some entertaining moments in the final days of Team Hell No, etc.

And, while I'm tempted to say 2012 for some of the Mark Henry moments and high-end Sheamus matches versus Big Show, Ziggler, and Bryan - I'd stick with 2013, because I'd take that Mark Henry swerve scenario over just about anything else from 2012 anyhow.

Spring to early autumn 2009 - there was talk of a 2nd 'Smackdown 6' with Jericho, Edge, Hardy, Mysterio, Morrison and Punk. Edge disappeared in early summer, but it seemed like every week had great combinations of these guys in tags and singles.

This is also the great period where Punk turns and plays a tweener for a bit moving into his heel run. Him v. Hardy was a HOT feud and has a lot of fun promos.

Jericho is also terrific in this time period.

'2006 just for the DX/McMahons promos and stuff cos they were well funny when they wrote I Love c*cks on screen when Vince did his promo and DX dressed as the McMahons and changing the Mic. '

Jesus, Doc.

That was probably one of the very rare times I watched wrestling and laughed so much it brought tears to my eyes.