Pro Wrestling Only

All Japan Excite Series #5

http://placetobenation.com/all-japan-excite-series-5/

excite5.png

Come out to playyyeee!! And get excited, because it's the All Japan Excite Series! Steven and Parv review another four bangas.

06/05/92 - Mitsuharu Misawa & Kenta Kobashi vs Jumbo Tsuruta & Akira Taue
07/05/92 - Kenta Kobashi & Tsuyoshi Kikuchi vs Masa Fuchi & Yoshinari Ogawa
08/20/92 - Mitsuharu Misawa, Toshiaki Kawada & Tsuyoshi Kikuchi vs Jumbo Tsuruta, Akira Taue & Yoshinari Ogawa
10/07/92 - Jumbo Tsuruta & Akira Taue vs Steve Williams & Terry Gordy

I don't think I've seen any of the four matches you guys watched. Looking forward to them now though. You guys aren't wrong on the Misawa vs. Hansen match. Almost every Hansen vs. Misawa match I have watched is a disappointment when I look at how they worked against anybody else. The 8/92 match had the Misawa shoulder injury from earlier in the year, which played into the finish. Misawa, with an injured shoulder, won the triple crown from the big, badass gaijin Hansen. With an elbow. It takes the elbow that has been built up as big and just makes it bigger. Also the handshake afterwards is great. The match as a whole is not great, but it is necessary to the Misawa legend in more than one way. And if you watch the best Hansen vs. Misawa match in my opinion, the 93 match, it plays off of this one. It's one of those matches that is required viewing if you want a big part of the story, but not greta as a standalone match.

Commonly referred to as a beanie or wool cap down this way. I figure it must be a variation on the soda, pop, soda pop, Coke thing.

Watched the first tag match and I have to say I am a bit underwhelmed on how good these All Japan matches are promoted as being. I have found a number of them to be artificially bloated especially when it comes to finishing stretches. The top rope DDT that had Parv gushing meant nothing in the grand scheme of the story and was blown off less than a minute later. Even the death bump to the outside (which rightly should have led to a finish) was ignored so the match could extend another 3 minutes (and chokeslams) which weren't needed on this occasion.

The first half of the match features a bunch of limb work that goes absolutely nowhere and was filler like breadcrumbs in a meatloaf.

My star ratings are a little different than other people's but I would go with a solid 3 star effort.

For those keeping track.

1 star = Avoid at all costs

2 stars = Only watch if you are a super fan of the people/style involved, there is some value there but will reinforce prior notions.

3 stars = If you are a fan of the people/style involved this is worth watching, but not recommended for non fans. Nothing out of the ordinary for the style.

4 stars = Even if you don't like the people/style involved, this may change your mind. Would be great example of the best of the style in question.

5 stars = Watch at all costs regardless of the style or people involved. Transcends preconceived notions the style or participants brings to the table.

My star ratings are a little different than other people's but I would go with a solid 3 star effort.

For those keeping track.

1 star = Avoid at all costs

2 stars = Only watch if you are a super fan of the people/style involved, there is some value there but will reinforce prior notions.

3 stars = If you are a fan of the people/style involved this is worth watching, but not recommended for non fans. Nothing out of the ordinary for the style.

4 stars = Even if you don't like the people/style involved, this may change your mind. Would be great example of the best of the style in question.

5 stars = Watch at all costs regardless of the style or people involved. Transcends preconceived notions the style or participants brings to the table.

I think a lot of non fans of All Japan still would dig that tag match. If nothing else, it was a lot of fun. It wasn't as crazy overboard as a Young Bucks match or anything and that has pretty mass appeal.

I think a lot of non fans of All Japan still would dig that tag match. If nothing else, it was a lot of fun. It wasn't as crazy overboard as a Young Bucks match or anything and that has pretty mass appeal.

I think where we differ is that my star ratings assume at least some degree of familiarity with the core concepts of a promotion whereas yours don't really take that under consideration. To me, this match had most of the same major flaws I see when I watch All Japan stuff from that era (limb selling, ignoring macro strategy, finishing stretches that go too long). So to me, having that built in, makes it three stars. If you like that style, you will enjoy this match. If you don't? This will probably not going to change your mind.

To use another example, if you don't like current WWE style then you might not like Cena-Rusev (I'm using this as an example only, I've not seen the thing) because it falls into a lot of the current stylistic ruts WWE uses (finisher spamming, finishers are the only way matches end barring roll ups, heels have to cheat). Cena-Rusev will not change your mind regarding that style because it falls into too many of the tropes. Cena-Brock-Rollins exceeded those boundaries and pushed the paradigm somewhat and is more effective as a result.

Hansen vs Kikuchi did happen Parv and it's as amazing as you'd think

Kikuchi vs. Vader apparently happened in NOAH, too, though I don't know if it made tape.

As for the "where was Kawada?" question re: the Misawa/Kobashi tag, he was busy challenging Hansen for the Triple Crown that night.

• 1 month later...

06/05/92 – Mitsuharu Misawa & Kenta Kobashi vs Jumbo Tsuruta & Akira Taue

Parv: ****

Steven: ****1/4

07/05/92 – Kenta Kobashi & Tsuyoshi Kikuchi vs Masa Fuchi & Yoshinari Ogawa

Parv: ****1/2

Steven: ****1/2

08/20/92 – Mitsuharu Misawa, Toshiaki Kawada & Tsuyoshi Kikuchi vs Jumbo Tsuruta, Akira Taue & Yoshinari Ogawa

Parv: ****

10/07/92 – Jumbo Tsuruta & Akira Taue vs Steve Williams & Terry Gordy

Parv: ****1/2